Correction: Dual GS was $190, not $95

Old October 24th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Default Correction: Dual GS was $190, not $95

I stand corrected. Our little adventure at the avionics shop where we
found our second GS simply disconnected due to recessed connector pins
cost us $190 to fix, not $95. So, while I was off by a factor of 2 on
the price, still, less than .2 AMUs doesn't seem all that bad.

A partner and I flight checked the plane last night with a combined 5
ILS approaches. Second GS worked like a charm. I definitely prefer
using the #1 nav head when flying an ILS though. It's a Garmin, has a
bigger donut, GS needle isn't hinged on one side, plus it just feels
more normal to look at the #1 nav when flying an ILS. When #1 is driven
by the GPS, even with the GS flag up, it seems way too get confused and
think you're on GS. That's where the handy dandy round suction cup
style soap holders...er, I mean, instrument covers come in handy. I'll
have to throw that into the mix when doing partial panel practice.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old October 24th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-24, Jack Allison wrote:
cost us $190 to fix, not $95. So, while I was off by a factor of 2 on
the price, still, less than .2 AMUs doesn't seem all that bad.

New airplane owners are shocked by how expensive ownership is. After
you get good at rationalizing that, suddenly everything else seems
impossibly cheap if you accidentally apply airplane reasoning to it.

using the #1 nav head when flying an ILS though. It's a Garmin, has a
bigger donut,

Yes, but are the dots farther apart? ;-)

GS needle isn't hinged on one side, plus it just feels
more normal to look at the #1 nav when flying an ILS.

My plane has an HSI and a non-GS CDI for the #2 nav. The #2 radio is
better, though (KX-155A) and remotes to the DME, so I tend to use the
CDI for VOR navigation. I've forgotten what it's like to fly with
matching pairs of anything!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 24th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I stand corrected. Our little adventure at the avionics shop where we
found our second GS simply disconnected due to recessed connector pins
cost us $190 to fix, not $95. So, while I was off by a factor of 2 on
the price, still, less than .2 AMUs doesn't seem all that bad.

*snicker*

Jack, you have truly been, er -- how shall we say? -- "stretched out"
by this aircraft-owning business, no?

$95 will feed our family for a week -- but it's chump change in our
panel. Go figure!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Hey Jay,
at least you have a wife that is a pilot! When you want to dump $ into
your plane, your wife says COOL!

Our wives on the other hand point to the couch.
*snicker*

Jim

Old October 25th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jack, you have truly been, er -- how shall we say? -- "stretched out"
by this aircraft-owning business, no?

Yeah, stretched out a bit is probably a good description. Sure, more
expensive in the first year than anticipated but I still have no
regrets. I'm flying more, learning more about my plane, and never get
tired of pulling the hangar door open and seeing *my* airplane (well,
ok, partly mine...but you get the point) sitting there.

$95 will feed our family for a week -- but it's chump change in our
panel. Go figure!

True.

Old October 25th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Hey Jay,
at least you have a wife that is a pilot! When you want to dump $ into
your plane, your wife says COOL!

Yeah, it's rough when a recurring airplane purchase decision is "Honey,
what GPS do you think we should buy" :-) His/hers GPS yoke mounted GPS
units. Yeah, life is rough in the Honeck family :-)

Old October 25th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Yeah, it's rough when a recurring airplane purchase decision is "Honey,
what GPS do you think we should buy" :-) His/hers GPS yoke mounted GPS
units. Yeah, life is rough in the Honeck family :-)

No, the fun will begin when young Joe and Becka take the yoke.
My wife got a ride home from Oshkosh back in 1989 when the experimental
I flew up had its starter break.
My wife had to be back to work the next morning.
Fortunately, a crop duster friend was working in Illinois at the time.
He had entrusted his former Grand National Champion award winner to his
son and another young cropdust for the trip to Oshkosh that year.
They were having trouble starting the plane, so the son (a 16 year old
pilot) called dad to come up and help them out.
Dad had to call mom to fly the Deb from Ohio to pick him up in Illinois
to fly him to Wisconsin.
Dad arrived, looked things over flipped a couple switches and the
Stearman started right up.
Dad decided to fly the award winner back to Illinois and send the son
home with mom.
This is where being in the right place at the right time comes in handy.
As they were parked next to me on the ramp, I asked mom if they could
fly my wife back to Ohio. Sure no problem.
I get home a couple days later and my wife describes her trip with mom
and son.
Son told mom that dad didn't do things the way mom did. Mom told son
she was PIC and she would do things her way. This went on the whole trip
back.
The daughter, also a pilot, drove my wife from the airport to our home.

Those noise cancelling headsets with pax isolate may see some actual use
by the Honeck family in the coming years. Can you imagine the sterile
cockpit rule in practice in that environment?

Footnote: shortly after son got his private ticket, he did his check
ride in dad's Twin Beech with a highly experienced FAA examiner who put
the lad through a thorough test with dad riding in the back.