B-58's targets in a nuclear war

Old November 27th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

Default B-58's targets in a nuclear war

A 1968 letter from Defense Secretary Clifford to State Secretary Rusk
at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/jo...b/xii/2262.htm mentioned
that the air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations
and some B-58 bombers and accompanying tankers were earmarked for
forward deployment there.

How many refuels were needed for a fully-laden B-58 to bomb its target
in the USSR and come back to Spain?

On a side note, Vice Admiral Gerald E. Miller wrote in his book
"Nuclear Weapons and Aircraft Carriers" that the Navy RA-5C Vigilantes
- operating from carriers in the Bay of Biscay - were assigned to
targets in Eastern Europe.

Old November 27th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Darrell S

Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)

ups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
A 1968 letter from Defense Secretary Clifford to State Secretary Rusk
at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/jo...b/xii/2262.htm mentioned
that the air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations
and some B-58 bombers and accompanying tankers were earmarked for
forward deployment there.

How many refuels were needed for a fully-laden B-58 to bomb its target
in the USSR and come back to Spain?

On a side note, Vice Admiral Gerald E. Miller wrote in his book
"Nuclear Weapons and Aircraft Carriers" that the Navy RA-5C Vigilantes
- operating from carriers in the Bay of Biscay - were assigned to
targets in Eastern Europe.

Thanks for the reply but what I want to know is the number of required
refuelings when the B-58s flew from bases in Spain to bomb targets in
the USSR and come back to Spain.

Old November 28th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tex Houston

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later
in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
A 1968 letter from Defense Secretary Clifford to State Secretary Rusk
at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/jo...b/xii/2262.htm mentioned
that the air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations
and some B-58 bombers and accompanying tankers were earmarked for
forward deployment there.

How many refuels were needed for a fully-laden B-58 to bomb its target
in the USSR and come back to Spain?

On a side note, Vice Admiral Gerald E. Miller wrote in his book
"Nuclear Weapons and Aircraft Carriers" that the Navy RA-5C Vigilantes
- operating from carriers in the Bay of Biscay - were assigned to
targets in Eastern Europe.

Thanks for the reply but what I want to know is the number of required
refuelings when the B-58s flew from bases in Spain to bomb targets in
the USSR and come back to Spain.

You're making an assumption that might not be true. The sortie in question
might not come back to that base. A Post-Strike Recovery Base might not be
home but a place that might have some chance of still being in existence
such as a bare bones strip somewhere.

Tex Houston

Old November 28th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
leadfoot

You're making an assumption that might not be true. The sortie in
question
might not come back to that base. A Post-Strike Recovery Base might not
be home but a place that might have some chance of still being in
existence such as a bare bones strip somewhere.

Would the speed of the aircraft be a factor? Harder to turn around a mach 2
B-58 isn't it?

In the early 70's I heard the assumption was that every runway that could
support a B-52 in the US would be hit with a nuke.

Tex Houston

Old November 28th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Diamond Jim

"leadfoot" wrote in message
news

You're making an assumption that might not be true. The sortie in
question
might not come back to that base. A Post-Strike Recovery Base might not
be home but a place that might have some chance of still being in
existence such as a bare bones strip somewhere.

Would the speed of the aircraft be a factor? Harder to turn around a mach
2 B-58 isn't it?

In the early 70's I heard the assumption was that every runway that could
support a B-52 in the US would be hit with a nuke.

Tex Houston

Actually it was assumed that every runway that could support loaded and
dispersed B-52's would be hit by a nuke. Most if not all would probably
receive additional nukes at varying distances/altitudes from these runways
in attempts to destroy any B-52' that had managed to take off.

It is late at night and I can't sleep so here are a few thoughts I recall
from discussions at the time. As an example this is how the war would have
probably been fought in the 1980's.

Preliminary attacks would be made against military satellites by ground
based laser and "Killer" satellites. (This may or may not have been
perceived as leading to nuclear war).

Most likely the Soviets would have launched a co-ordnated attack by all
their forces starting with a preemptive strike of over 1,000 missiles
carrying 5,000+ warheads.

First strikes (1st wave) from SLBM (+5/15 min) off our coast, were assumed
to target Command/Control with multiple upper atmosphere explosions (EMP)
and any missile fields (Arkansas) or bomber runways within their range, and
patterns around these runways to destroy any bombers already in the air. Sub
launched cruise missiles (+15 min) would have been targeted at near coastal
military facilities, and infrastructure, such as harbors, bridges, and
transportation facilities.

First strikes (2d wave) from land based ICBM's (+20min) were assumed to
target all missile fields, and all runways to include hitting with ground
burst to maximize the destruction and prevent farther use.

Follow on strikes (3d wave) from the remaining ICBM's (+20/40min) were
assumed to target and destroy any remaining military infrastructure,
air/ground burst attacking cities and any other remaining targets.

By this time it can be assumed that all of the Soviet and US, ICBM's and
bombers have been launched. The US is now launching most of its remaining
significant SLBM's, and the Soviets are launching the remaining ICBM's and
any reloaded missiles they have.

At +60min the strategic portion of the nuclear war is over. The use of
tactical weapons at sea and wherever there are land battles will continue
until the combatants either run out of tactical nukes or targets.

It should be assumed that every country that had a deliverable nuke weapon
used them against someone rather than loose them.

Old November 28th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

Tex Houston wrote:
"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later
in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

All right, the source I quoted in my first post indicated that some
B-52s would have landed somewhere in the Middle East after bombing
Soviet targets.

"7. The air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations,
and SAC still has contingency plans for their use. These involve the
prestrike forward deployment of some B-58 bombers and accompanying
tankers, the post-strike recovery for a few B-52's [1 line of source
text not declassified] in the Middle East."

Old November 28th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ken S. Tucker

KDR wrote:
Tex Houston wrote:
"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later
in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As I understand, the B-58 was a weapon for deterence,
it was a 1 way strike mission....1 way.
Ken

Old November 28th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

KDR wrote:
Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later in
Arkansas and Indiana.

--
Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site URL (below)
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"KDR" wrote in message
ups.com...
A 1968 letter from Defense Secretary Clifford to State Secretary Rusk
at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/jo...b/xii/2262.htm mentioned
that the air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations
and some B-58 bombers and accompanying tankers were earmarked for
forward deployment there.

How many refuels were needed for a fully-laden B-58 to bomb its target
in the USSR and come back to Spain?

On a side note, Vice Admiral Gerald E. Miller wrote in his book
"Nuclear Weapons and Aircraft Carriers" that the Navy RA-5C Vigilantes
- operating from carriers in the Bay of Biscay - were assigned to
targets in Eastern Europe.

Thanks for the reply but what I want to know is the number of required
refuelings when the B-58s flew from bases in Spain to bomb targets in
the USSR and come back to Spain.

Issue was if the balloon was that far up, the Spanish base would be
history.

Old November 28th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Darrell S

ups.com...

Darrell S wrote:
Probably 2 refuelings since the B-58's were first kept in Texas and later
in
Arkansas and Indiana.

Thanks for the reply but what I want to know is the number of required
refuelings when the B-58s flew from bases in Spain to bomb targets in
the USSR and come back to Spain.

B-58s were not "based" in Spain. We occasionally flew B-58s there for
weapon loading practice and to test the ability to deploy them there if the
situation required it. I flew one from Madrid to Little Rock after another
crew had flown it from Little Rock to Spain. There may have been some
contingency plans but, as aircrews, we never studied them or considered
them. When the ballistic missile threat from submarines off our coasts
reduced the early warning time we began deploying some B-58s to other bases
but they were in the U.S.. This was done to reduce the possiblility of them
all being wiped out before any could launch.

Potential war sorties out of the U.S. did not include returning to the U.S..
Post strike bases were on the periphery of the Soviet Union and China.
But... IF... the B-58 were to launch from Spain, strike USSR, and return, it
should not require any air refuelings except for very long sorties deep into
Eastern USSR..