Cirrus SR22 demo flight

Old May 6th 05, 02:30 PM

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Michael,
I have. My first flight in one involved bailing out the pilot, who
botched the ILS so badly he pegged the GS needle. It made me
understand why the accident rate was what it was.

And that had to do with the model airplane you were flying in which

way?

Let me tell you, a 1969 Arrow sucks rocks in comparison.

Wrong comparison. The right comparison is a 1965 S-model Bonanza

with
the IO-550.

I didn't bring up the comparison, the poster I answered to did. And a

1965 Bo, while a nice plane, is still a *1965* Bo.

All Arrows suck compared to either Cirrus or Bonanza. Thing is,

when I
fly with people in their Arrows, I don't have to bail them out.

Oh Bull!

No you won't. At least I couldn't. Oh, they've done everything

they
could to put a modern false face on the engine - but it's still
obsolete technology.

I didn't disagree with that. You know of any alternatives, besides

the
DA-40 TDI? I don't.

but no better than the Bonanza with a JPI at a fraction of the

price.

Some think so. Many don't - witness the sales numbers.

Look, I don't want to fight over this or defend anything. But the

sales
numbers are there. You can't debate those.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

.... and the fact that hundreds of millions of people buy cigarettes
means what?

Gerd

Old May 6th 05, 03:35 PM
Happy Dog

wrote in message

Thomas Borchert wrote:

I didn't disagree with that. You know of any alternatives, besides

the DA-40 TDI? I don't.

but no better than the Bonanza with a JPI at a fraction of the

price.

Some think so. Many don't - witness the sales numbers.

Look, I don't want to fight over this or defend anything. But the

sales numbers are there. You can't debate those.

... and the fact that hundreds of millions of people buy cigarettes
means what?

Gee, that they're addicted to nicotine? That they think it's cool? Read
what the OP wrote again and then look up "faulty analogy" and try again.

moo

Old May 6th 05, 04:02 PM
Michael

In new aircraft, the right comparison for an Arrow would be the
Diamond
DA-40 rather than the Cirrus (or Lancair).

There is NO comparison for the Arrow in new aircraft because the Arrow
came into being solely to satisfy regulatory requirements -
specifically the requirement to take the commercial and CFI in a
complex airplane. The DA-40 is not an adequate substitute.

The reasonable comparison for the DA-40 is the Cheetah or Tiger.

Michael

Old May 6th 05, 04:11 PM
Michael

Can you back up that sweepingly broad statement with ANY facts? They
are
ALL dumb and unexperienced?

Every Cirrus (I don't know enough about the others to comment) owner
I've ever met except one had well under 500 hours when he bought it.
Cirrus won't tell us who is buying, but the accident rate is awfully
high and I can see no other reason for it being that high. I've flown
that airplane (including bailing out a pilot on approach in IMC) and I
see nothing about that airplane that should be a problem for an
experienced and proficient pilot.

Now the one exception was a guy who had hundreds of hours in a Bonanza.
He had ONE (and ONLY one) reason for buying it. The parachute. Not
because he thinks it has value (he doesn't - he considers it a gimmick
that caters to the inexperienced) but because his wife will fly with
him in the Cirrus with the parachute, but would not fly with him in his
Bonanza. That makes it worth it to him.

Michael

Old May 6th 05, 04:47 PM
Happy Dog

"Michael" wrote in message n
Can you back up that sweepingly broad statement with ANY facts? They

are ALL dumb and unexperienced?

Every Cirrus (I don't know enough about the others to comment) owner
I've ever met except one had well under 500 hours when he bought it.
Cirrus won't tell us who is buying, but the accident rate is awfully
high

"Awfully high" compared to what?

moo