Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

Old May 4th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

Default Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

On 2008-05-04, Ron Lee wrote:
An APRS provides the track functionality of Spot and no cost once you
get the equipment.
http://tinyurl.com/624vv6

Well, you also have to get a ham license (but don't let that stop you; it
only takes a written test these days, and it's easier than the PPL written).
However, there's another detail: you need to be in range of a node that
feeds the APRS network. I don't do APRS myself, but I understand the
coverage is widespread but not universal. Then again, if you're airborne,
getting into the network at altitude is probably pretty easy unless you're
over the Rockies or other very-low-population-density areas.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 4th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

On 2008-05-04, Ron Lee wrote:
An APRS provides the track functionality of Spot and no cost once you
get the equipment.
http://tinyurl.com/624vv6

Well, you also have to get a ham license (but don't let that stop you; it
only takes a written test these days, and it's easier than the PPL written).
However, there's another detail: you need to be in range of a node that
feeds the APRS network. I don't do APRS myself, but I understand the
coverage is widespread but not universal. Then again, if you're airborne,
getting into the network at altitude is probably pretty easy unless you're.....

I took the ham test on 13 April and got 100%. Another pilot with an
APRS unit took a trip from the Denver CO area to Page AZ (over the
Rockies and remote areas). Fairly good coverage for that trip and the
antenna was probably not optimal and he had the 300 mW transmitter.
There is an 8 Watt unit.

I will probably get one soon

All these systems have pros and cons. Spot won't activate in the
event of a crash just as my PLB won't and the ELT may not. Spot may
only transmit positions every 15 minutes which is too far apart for my
aircraft.

APRS does not exactly have a 911 function but the secondary
configuration could be set up to annotate an emergency. In addition,
the developers of one unit "may" allow for more message types which
could include everything Spot has and more...configurable by the
owner.

Ron Lee

Old May 5th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
george writes:

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters

So you think that no cap should be placed on the amount of money spent to
search for you? And you believe that taxpayers in general should pay the
infinitely high bill?

Since Nevada has never charged for SAR, even to the very wealthy, if
they are going to start charging they really ought to tell people and
with something along the lines of, "If SAR experience exceeds $X, the
lost individual, their family and or estate will be charged."
Old May 5th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.

So? In any case, he may not have been unsafe, but he was clearly unwise.

So? How the hell do you say, "So?" You said he did something unsafe. You
can't back that up so now you say it was unwise. So I will modify my
statement.

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unwase on his
final flight.
Old May 5th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

NW_Pilot wrote:
And Who Went looking for Lori Love????? The African countries looked for
about 1/2 a day!

What do you expect? It was Africa.
Old May 5th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Breif discussion of Trolling - was: Nevada governor...

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.

So? In any case, he may not have been unsafe, but he was clearly unwise.

So? How the hell do you say, "So?" You said he did something unsafe. You
can't back that up so now you say it was unwise. So I will modify my
statement.

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unwase on his
final flight.

All of which brings us back to an earlier thread regarding Mxsmanic and his
seemingly on-topic contributions. At that time, the debate At that time,
the discussion centered on two issues: 1) whether Mxsmanic was a Troll and
2) whether possible confusion by new pilots and students made it essential
to debate him. I now submit that he is, in fact, the most successfull Troll
that this group had ever seen. However, there is an interesting twist in
that this Troll quite successfully preys upon the senior members of the
group, rather than the newbies!

Thus, I hereby challenge you in the collective sense, not just the
immediately previous contributor: conduct a quick search on the subjects of
Internet Troll and Usenet Troll, and read the short but entertaining history
of the subject. Wiki, in particular, has a great article.

Then, when your research is complete, I have a humble suggestion: When one
of Mxsmanic's contributions seems to require a response, flip a coin at
least three times and only respond if it comes up tails every time.

Peter

Old May 5th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 3 May 2008 00:25:29 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

george writes:

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters

So you think that no cap should be placed on the amount of money spent to
search for you? And you believe that taxpayers in general should pay the
infinitely high bill?

Depends, for me? of course. for you? not a chewing gum wrapper.

Bertie

Australia once spent $4million dollars rescuing a lone sailor in an
upturned boat off antarctica. We didnt bill him.
....of course that was when we had a decent government not the clueless
****** labor beancounters we have now.

Stealth Pilot
Old May 5th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On May 6, 2:24*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Sat, 3 May 2008 00:25:29 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

george writes:

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters

So you think that no cap should be placed on the amount of money spent to
search for you? *And you believe that taxpayers in general should pay the
infinitely high bill?

Depends, for me? of course. for you? not a chewing gum wrapper.

Bertie

Australia once spent $4million dollars rescuing a lone sailor in an
upturned boat off antarctica. We didnt bill him.
...of course that was when we had a decent government not the clueless
****** labor beancounters we have now.

A growing bureacracy always needs more money to pay for itself.

Cheers
Old May 6th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Some Other Guy wrote:
$687,000? That's outrageous!

I promise to not find him for half as much!

That probably shouldn't be as funny as it is.

At Mt. Bachelor, in Oregon, they tell you the starting hourly search and
rescue fee if you leave the marked ski perimeter. I've always wondered
if it's no coincidence that they're always searching for people on Mt.
Hood, but not Bachelor.

But unless they actually -find- his body, if I were her I'd probably
tell them where the governor where to shove his bill.

-c
Old May 6th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

Then, when your research is complete, I have a humble suggestion: When one
of Mxsmanic's contributions seems to require a response, flip a coin at
least three times and only respond if it comes up tails every time.

may I suggestion a response only if it lands on the edge every time?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)