Sailplane equipment: transponder, transciver 8.33 kHz.

Old June 9th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Sailplane equipment: transponder, transciver 8.33 kHz.

Be sure to look at the Trig TT21 Mode S transponder - more like $2000 -
The TT21 is class 2.

* True, but you can get the Trig TT22 which is class 1.

And which, incidentally, seems to cost around $2400.

Which seems to be a smokin deal when compared to any other mode s
class 1 units... most of which seem closer to $5000. Add to that it is
lighter, easier to install and draws less power and it becomes a no-
brainer for a glider pilot wanting to *reasonably add this capability.

-Paul
Old June 9th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Am 09.06.10 17:15, schrieb jcarlyle:
Gasp - something that has more performance costs more? Who could have
guessed? Anyway, it's still below the range of $2500 to $2700 that you
quoted above...

Actually, I just did a very quick and very dirty net search. Everybody
knows that prices vary, that comparisons between European and US prices
are difficult and that there are also such things as sales tax, shipping
cost etc.

That said, I don't doubt a moment that the TT22 is a nice instrument.
Just compare before you decide. E.g. when I find two instruments with
the exactly same capabilities but one has a better user interface than
the other, this alone may be well worth $300 to me. As always YMMV. (Of
course I don't say that the TT22 has a bad interface, as I've never seen
one.)
Old June 9th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Am 09.06.10 17:43, schrieb sisu1a:
And which, incidentally, seems to cost around $2400.

Which seems to be a smokin deal when compared to any other mode s
class 1 units... most of which seem closer to $5000.

Check your facts. E.g. Funkwerk sells its TRT800H for 1931 Euros (tax
not included), which translates to $2324 at the actual exchange rate.
I'm too lazy to look up all the other brands which I mentioned earlier.

Source:
http://onlineshop.funkwerk-avionics....a0a147becbd276
Old June 10th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 6/9/2010 10:15 AM, John Smith wrote:
Am 09.06.10 17:43, schrieb sisu1a:
And which, incidentally, seems to cost around $2400.

Which seems to be a smokin deal when compared to any other mode s
class 1 units... most of which seem closer to $5000.

Check your facts. E.g. Funkwerk sells its TRT800H for 1931 Euros (tax
not included), which translates to $2324 at the actual exchange rate.
I'm too lazy to look up all the other brands which I mentioned earlier.

Source:
http://onlineshop.funkwerk-avionics....a0a147becbd276

I'm pretty sure the TRT800H isn't available in the USA; here, the Trig
is the best price for a Mode S.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old June 10th 10, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Murray

Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm pretty sure the TRT800H isn't available in the USA; here, the Trig
is the best price for a Mode S.

The OP lives in Poland...
Old June 11th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 6/10/2010 3:48 AM, Peter Murray wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm pretty sure the TRT800H isn't available in the USA; here, the Trig
is the best price for a Mode S.

The OP lives in Poland...

My reply was to John Smith, who was quoting prices in dollars; also, the
OP did not specify a "point of purchase" preference, so it seemed
pertinent. Sometimes, Europeans like to buy electronics in the USA,
because they are much cheaper. I remember seeing several of them carting
off armloads at Oshkosh.

Old June 14th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

One advantage of the Trig (both TT21 and TT22) is that the altitude
encoder is built in. You need to add the expense -- and power usage
-- of an encoder to any other transponer that is purchased.

(I don't own a transponder, but have been considering the purchase
"down the road").
Old June 15th 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Am 14.06.10 02:39, schrieb jsbrake:
One advantage of the Trig (both TT21 and TT22) is that the altitude
encoder is built in. You need to add the expense -- and power usage
-- of an encoder to any other transponer that is purchased.

Update your facts. Most if not all of the transponders I mentioned in a
earlier post have a built-in altitude encoder.
Old June 15th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Update your facts. Most if not all of the transponders I mentioned in a
earlier post have a built-in altitude encoder.

Mea culpa. Yes, the Garrecht and Funkwerk models have built-in
encoders.
Still, a valid point: check the "complete" cost of the system to get
it operational, as encoders, address modules, wiring, etc add up.