Gliding International – issue May 2019

Old April 23rd 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gliding International – issue May 2019

The May issue will be mailed later this week. It has an extraordinary number of research reports which will provide considerable interest to all soaring pilots.

1. We provide a research report on restoring Blaniks back into service. Financially the the prices now available makes the exercise worthy of serious consideration.
2. With no previous announcement, we unearth a mammoth Russian project to fly a glider “round the world” non-stop over five days. The proto-type is already flying. Surprisingly we find a New Zealand connection with the project. The Kiwis have made a first instalment contribution to the scheme of $26,000. Fascinating!
3. There is a big report on the March annual meeting of the I.G.C. held in Turkey. Release of news about competition pilots will surprise many.
4. The BGA really has airspace problems. We investigate the situation from the Farnborough Airport’s side. Some surprises!
5. Estonia had Russian domination for over 25 years. The occupying Russians introduced gliding to the Estonians which remains long after they departed the scene. The Estonians now have an active well managed gliding movement in an ideal soaring environment that is expanding. All under excellent management. An interesting well illustrated report - an ideal location for a soaring holiday with a difference.
6. The U.K. has its first remote Digital control tower. Germany is claiming to have the first such operation. Regardless, they are going to be a feature of the future – sooner rather than later.
7. Mike Borgelt of Australia has been in the variometer business for decades. We publish a report from him on his latest project where he declares that he has perfected a totally new management system for variometers that leaves current systems outdated. Extremely interesting!
8. How would you like to reduce the cost of aero tow launches by 70 per cent. This is now an extremely likely proposition to converting tug combustion engines to achieve this possibility. And sooner rather than later! A Canadian company is well on the way to achieving this result. We are impressed!
9. The name Horton congers up reference to the German design team for gliders in the thirties! Thinking “Flying Wings!” Their design has been reborn in Germany with the most impressive looking aircraft we have seen in many a day!
10. The U.K. has a problem with a host of airfields slated to be closed and cut up for housing. This must be of concern to the Brits.
11. Regulation changes to cope with the proposed Brexit by the British heralds management problems for sporting aviation. Not much enthusiasm being displayed for the new arrangement with the EAS.
12. An on the pilot health scene, we provide a paper on how to manage “Fatigue” when flying. Good for competition pilots to read.

ALL THIS AND 40 OTHER SOARING STORIES

New and renewing subscribers go to our web site - glidinginternationl.com

Old April 24th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Link doesn't work

I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat. "A"?

Try glidinginternational.com