A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Insurance

Old May 11th 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 9:53:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
New glider owner - looking to purchase insurance- companies - cost? Value sailplane + trailer = $32,000

Prior sailplane owner had both glider and trailer insured with same company.. are there advantages or disadvantages to separating both? In other words can I insure my trailer with the same company that I insure my cars with? It seems to me it would be easier and perhaps cheaper.
feedback welcomed.
Old May 15th 19, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

New glider owner - looking to purchase insurance- companies - cost? Value sailplane + trailer = $32,000

I suggest that you talk to your agent about how 'declared value' works, and if your policy declares a value for the glider, and independently declares a value for the trailer, how does the insurance pay out in various scenarios? And will the proceeds 'make you whole'?

Say the glider is damaged in an off-airport landing accident. Say the repair cost exceeds the declared value of the glider, so the insurance company buys the glider from you for the full 'declared' value. Do you still own the trailer? Can you buy a comparable used glider plus trailer for the declared value of your wrecked glider? Can you buy a used glider without a used trailer? Can you sell your old trailer?

Say you have a lowish declared value for the trailer, and your empty trailer is destroyed by high winds while you're aloft. Estimated repair of the trailer exceeds the declared value, so insurance company totals it. Can you buy a trailer for what the insurance paid you for your old trailer? Are there any used glider trailers for sale in the USA, or do you have to import a new one from Europe?

Ask your agent whether the declared value of your trailer, plus the declared value of your glider can exceed what you paid for both of them at time of purchase in the 'package deal' (assuming both were used). Also note how little the premium increases to cover increased declared values.
Old May 15th 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 10:34:30 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

I suggest that you talk to your agent about how 'declared value' works, and if your policy declares a value for the glider, and independently declares a value for the trailer, how does the insurance pay out in various scenarios? And will the proceeds 'make you whole'?

Say the glider is damaged in an off-airport landing accident. Say the repair cost exceeds the declared value of the glider, so the insurance company buys the glider from you for the full 'declared' value. Do you still own the trailer? Can you buy a comparable used glider plus trailer for the declared value of your wrecked glider? Can you buy a used glider without a used trailer? Can you sell your old trailer?

Say you have a lowish declared value for the trailer, and your empty trailer is destroyed by high winds while you're aloft. Estimated repair of the trailer exceeds the declared value, so insurance company totals it. Can you buy a trailer for what the insurance paid you for your old trailer? Are there any used glider trailers for sale in the USA, or do you have to import a new one from Europe?

Ask your agent whether the declared value of your trailer, plus the declared value of your glider can exceed what you paid for both of them at time of purchase in the 'package deal' (assuming both were used). Also note how little the premium increases to cover increased declared values.

Quite a number of years ago I decided to skip on insurance for the trailer although mine is only 4 years old and would take $18k to replace. My reasons
The trailer is on the road for about a week or two each year, otherwise in a hangar or tied down on an airport
- Roads travelled are mostly interstate or similar
- I don't do over 70-75 mph
- I limit myself to around 12 hours of driving
- Small damage from low speed accidents can be repaired, cost is acceptable

Herb
Old May 15th 19, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

I have my insurance through Costello.
Last season I put in for a 10k repair claim.
Service was impeccable.
I just got my renewal and my yearly rate remained the same.
Whats not to love about that?
Old May 18th 19, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 6:42:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 10:34:30 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

Quite a number of years ago I decided to skip on insurance for the trailer although mine is only 4 years old and would take $18k to replace. My reasons
The trailer is on the road for about a week or two each year, otherwise in a hangar or tied down on an airport
- Roads travelled are mostly interstate or similar
- I don't do over 70-75 mph
- I limit myself to around 12 hours of driving
- Small damage from low speed accidents can be repaired, cost is acceptable

Herb

Trailer insurance is cheap and new trailers are expensive. Furthermore, trailers take the brunt of the damage in even minor accidents. We had two trailering accidents at the Parowan meet last year. Cobra aluminum top trailers are built with single-piece aluminum sheets; same with the other major components. Do you really want a trailer that looks like a quilt?

Tom