What Good is a Standalone Borgelt B57? GPS?

Old June 17th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default What Good is a Standalone Borgelt B57? GPS?

A friend bought a glider. It came with a Borgelt B57 in a box (not in
the glider). There is a Borgelt B50 vario still in the glider. From
what I read the B57 must have a B50 to function. Thus the B57 by
itself is useless. Right?

Also, I read in the manual about "GPS" but there are next to zero
details. I don't even see which pins that power is supplied, or the
voltage needed (comes from the B50?). Does anyone have a wiring
diagram for the Borgelt B57? To a GPS? To a PDA (if even
possible)? The manual on the Borgelt site isn't very illuminating.

Thanks, John DeRosa
Old June 17th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

On 6/17/2010 10:26 AM, ContestID67 wrote:
A friend bought a glider. It came with a Borgelt B57 in a box (not in
the glider). There is a Borgelt B50 vario still in the glider. From
what I read the B57 must have a B50 to function. Thus the B57 by
itself is useless. Right?

Also, I read in the manual about "GPS" but there are next to zero
details. I don't even see which pins that power is supplied, or the
voltage needed (comes from the B50?). Does anyone have a wiring
diagram for the Borgelt B57? To a GPS? To a PDA (if even
possible)? The manual on the Borgelt site isn't very illuminating.

Thanks, John DeRosa

I believe that the B50 and B57 are totally separate systems. The B57
has two units, one which is a vario gauge that takes its information
from the main unit. You can't use a B50 as the gauge for the B57.

You can output the B57 info to a PDA if the B57 has the right hardware.

Your best bet is to email Borgelt. He is pretty responsive.
Old June 17th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On 17 June, 18:36, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

....or look at the details and manuals on the website at:

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/B50man.pdf

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/B57man.pdf

John Galloway
Old June 17th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

The B57 can do nothing without connection to a B50.the B57 is simply a
glider computer with GPS inputs (it also can be used as a dead reckoning
computer without GPS but in any case requires the Vario data available only
from the B50.
the manuals for B50 and B57 are on my website page
http://wingsandwheels.com/useful.htm
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5205 (20100617) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5205 (20100617) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old June 17th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

Thanks for the correction, Tim. I was thinking of the B40 and B50,
while the question was about the B50 and B57.