MAILING ON JUNE 26

Old June 19th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johnhamish

Default MAILING ON JUNE 26

THE FEATURE STORIES IN THE JULY ISSUE OF GLIDING INTERNATIONAL.

We thought you might like to know what is in our July issue. We have
written about:
• Loosing newer members? There is tried and true remedy for this
situation. We provide details on how you should be able to remedy this
situation.
• Sebastian Kawa is without a doubt, the world’s best glider pilot.
An in depth interview by our Polish correspondent.
• The mistakes made by the U.S. pilot who attempted a world height
record, but with his sailplane breaking up in mid-air at 38,000 feet.
A detailed report on the fatal flight.
• A new tool to fine-tune your competition sailplane and get the edge
on your competitiors.
• Wanted - a new president for the International Gliding
Commission. Bob Henderson, (the incumbent) is standing for president
of F.A.I. in October and very likely to be elected. What happens at
I.G.C.? An interview with Bob, how he sees the future of gliding
and what is needed to expand the program he started on modernising
gliding’s world management.
• Minden and the Sierra wave. Details on the annual wave camp that
is attracting participants from around the word.
• Apple Ipads. The latest new tool that is already being adapted for
soaring pilots. A review of the product and who is developing their
soaring applications. Not a case of toys for boys !
• The licencing debacle continues in Europe. An update on the
situation.
• We have analysed the world gliding fatality figures and
recalculated the accidents as they relate to membership totals. The
country with the worst results was Columbia. Read about your
country’s placing. Some real surprises!
• The FAA have just released a graph showing the number of new glider
pilot licences issued each year over the past 10 years. Stand by to
be shocked!
• Germany’s aviation research organisation, DLR, took their Falcon
jet and deliberately flew it into the Iceland Volcano’s ash cloud to
test likely mechanical failure. Could influence decisions for
European tug fleets if the Volcano continues to spew ash.
• Falke have just re-engined their motor glider, making it the
ultimate for a trainer that is also an ideal tug. The “Turbo-Falke” is
now equipped with the most powerful engine ever installed in this
type, the 115hp Rotax 914F3 - a far cry from the original 26hp motor
that was installed in the first Motorfalke in 1963.
• Plus an additional 40 other stories covering the world soaring
scene and which you will enjoy reading. The issue is our biggest
yet.

New OR RENEWING subscribers can enrol via our secure web site:
(www.glidinginternational.com)
Old June 19th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"johnhamish" wrote

• Loosing newer members?

Your editor should have caught this basic mistake.
Lost - lose, both have one "O".
Loose, as in not tight has two.

Old June 19th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jun 18, 6:55*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Your editor should have caught this basic mistake.

I'm still looking for the country called "Columbia."
Old June 19th 10, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 18, 8:51*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jun 18, 6:55*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Your editor should have caught this basic mistake.

I'm still looking for the country called "Columbia."

When you find it I bet you find the lost newer members there as well.

Darryl
Old June 19th 10, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

I'm still looking for the country called "Columbia."

When you find it I bet you find the lost newer members there as well.

Hee hee. I missed that mistake! Makes me wonder if the magazine is as well
written!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 22nd 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Hee hee. *I missed that mistake! *Makes me wonder if the magazine is as well
written!
--
Jim in NC

I've found a few spelling and grammatical errors in the magazine, but
I'm rather anal about such things. Overall, I've found the magazine
to be well-written. One should also consider that there are
contributors whom are not writing in their first language... how much
correction should an editor perform upon a contribution?

E-mail, however, is another medium; people tend to be less careful in
their writing habits when sending e-mail. As evidence, hopefully
without starting a major flame-war, I will point out that Jim's, "Hee
hee.", is missing a comma, plus, "well written", should be hyphenated.

That being said, Americans may have a bit harder time with the
magazine due to the fact that it is written in English.

John in ON

Aircraft mailing lists Darryl Gibbs Naval Aviation 0 September 28th 03 03:08 PM
Aircraft mailing lists Darryl Gibbs Military Aviation 0 September 28th 03 03:08 PM
Skybolt mailing list? Dave Home Built 1 September 24th 03 10:22 PM
Vintage & Warbird mailing list. Darryl Gibbs General Aviation 0 September 13th 03 09:53 AM
Assorted aircraft mailing lists. Darryl Gibbs Owning 0 August 5th 03 02:18 PM