SC Nats Day 6 quick report

Old June 22nd 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

Default SC Nats Day 6 quick report

Another 'Heaven and Hell' day at Parowan. First turn way to the
north, second way to the west in the desert, last turn way south with
its northern edge about 15 miles south of the field.

By start time, some cu's were visible to the north in the first turn
area, and some were visible Waaaaaaaayyyyy to the northwest - maybe in
the western turn area, maybe not. Just before I started, I saw a
blue thermal outlined in white by about 20 gliders, all the way from
about 11,000 to 17,000 - really cool! Many pilots were able to
connect with a line of clouds down the middle of the Panguitch valley
(the next major valley east from Parowan), and had a delightful run to
the back of the first cylinder - that was the 'Heaven' part. Then it
was out into the desert with no clouds to guide the way, not many
airports, and much lower/weaker conditions - the 'Hell' part. The
second and third legs separated the men from the boys, and I'm not
ashamed to say I fell into the 'boys' category today. I just nicked
the second circle and then scurried back to the relative safety of the
Parowan ridge system and used it to make my way south to the 3rd
circle, then home. The 'men' went straight through the desert areas
from the second to the third circles, and the ones that made it did
well. The remains of the ones that didn't will be found sometime in
the next year or so ;-).

Three more days to go, and I'm still looking for a 'full' Parowan day,
like we had on Day 1 - no more of this half-and-half stuff, please!

Frank (TA)
Old June 22nd 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Jun 21, 10:45*pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much for the report! I wish the contest mgmt knew that
there are people who are very interested in their contest and look
forward to seeing how the day went. This looks like it has been an
exciting and dynamic contest!

Thanks again for the day's summary.
Bruno - B4
Old June 22nd 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 21, 9:45*pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much for the report. Having flown into that western desert
from Parowan in the early '90's, I was wondering how all faired, so
impressed with those who had high speeds and interested in where folks
landed out, saw there were a lot.

gary
Old June 22nd 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 21, 9:45*pm, Frank wrote:
*Then it
was out into the desert with no clouds to guide the way, not many
airports, and much lower/weaker conditions - the 'Hell' part. *The
second and third legs separated the men from the boys, and I'm not
ashamed to say I fell into the 'boys' category today. *

Thanks for the report. Been there too and made the same choice. That
part of the task area is quite hostile. Boys can play with their toys
the next day while some of the men don't.

Andy
Old June 22nd 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great write up TA. For us guys interested in US contest happenings
such daily comments make for great reading . Unfortuanately it seems
almost the norm now that contest management have forgotten that daily
contest reporting by someone helping run the contest keep the soaring
public interested and informed .
Thanks for the good reporting , and good flying ahead to you .

ZA.
Old June 22nd 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jun 22, 10:46*am, " wrote:
*Great write up TA. *For us guys interested in US contest happenings
such daily comments make for great reading . *Unfortuanately it seems
almost the norm now that contest management have forgotten that daily
contest reporting by someone helping run the contest keep the soaring
public interested and informed .
Thanks for the good reporting , and good flying ahead to you *.

ZA.

Ditto here. Feel like I was there, only without the blazing sun and
terror.

P3
Old June 22nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 22, 7:46*am, " wrote:
*Unfortuanately it seems
almost the norm now that contest management have forgotten that daily
contest reporting by someone helping run the contest keep the soaring
public interested and informed .

There has been a report on the SSA site every day so I don't see that
contest management is to blame.

Someone volunteered and if someone more qualified had also volunteered
I doubt that would have been a fight for the job.

I'm suprised that the reporter is not getting a bit more help though.

Andy

SC Nats Day 5 quick report Frank[_12_] Soaring 13 June 23rd 10 09:41 PM
Standard Nats [email protected] Soaring 0 July 18th 07 02:58 AM
Open Class Nats, Region 8 and 1-26 Nats Kilo Charlie Soaring 11 July 2nd 05 04:46 PM
USA Std Nats Andy Durbin Soaring 5 July 14th 04 05:47 PM
Contest dates? 2004 18m nats / 15m nats/ sports class nats John Soaring 0 September 4th 03 05:37 AM