Sectional Usage Poll

Old December 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Default Sectional Usage Poll

I have been advised that some people when using a sectional always hold it
with North up even when they are flying South rather than orienting it along
their flight path. This is an option on moving map GPS systems.

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

TIA

Old December 21st 04, 05:42 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
I have been advised that some people when using a sectional always hold it
with North up even when they are flying South rather than orienting it

along
their flight path. This is an option on moving map GPS systems.

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

It depends. If I am in very unfamiliar territory, I orient it along my
flight path. If I am flying locally, it stays in my lap north up, since it
is only for reference for frequencies etc. It's hard to read print upside
down!

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old December 21st 04, 05:52 PM
Maule Driver

North up.

I used to do a lot of intense pilotage (cc soaring) and found my self
turning it to orient along flight path. Over time, I stopped doing it. But
a line on the chart seemed mandatory to keep it all together.

Then there was GPS...

Old December 21st 04, 06:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

I keep north up. I like to be able to read the labels.

I made a flight to Oshkosh one year with a guy who does things the other way
'round. He decided to "help" by taking my sectional and doing the navigation.
Drove me nuts. Fortunately, the weather on the way up was great and I didn't
really need the chart - I just followed the LORAN track. The only problem spots
were staying out of the controlled airspace around major airports.

On the way back, we were running at 1,000' AGL (more or less) under a low
ceiling with visibility of about 7 miles in haze. He was immensely helpful then.
I made him position the chart so I could read it. He had a handheld GPS with a
moving map and kept his finger just west of our position the whole way. Great
for avoiding towers and such.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Old December 21st 04, 06:19 PM
Bob Gardner

Oriented to flight path...I learned to read upside down when I was in high
school. It is a useful skill.

Bob Gardner

Old December 21st 04, 06:26 PM
Gene Seibel