Region 9 Hobbs Scores

Old July 11th 04, 07:39 PM
F.L. Whiteley

true, but nothing to do with the scores being posted either AFAIK.
apparently, getting the scores on the web site happens due to the 'paid'
efforts on staff at the SSA office. given the SSA financials, no 'overtime'
is likely authorized.

Frank

"f.blair" wrote in message
The postings that Charlie makes to the SSA site are a 'paid' entry, it is
not part of a 'volunteers' efforts. When he is not at the contest, then

the
effort is not made to add comments to the site. The RAS postings were

great
to read even if they do not appear on the SSA site.

Fred Blair
"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message
That assumes the scorer reads RAS. Like cucurachas, there may be 100
lurking for each seen, but RAS doesn't reach more than an interested

segment
within the SSA, perhaps 10% tops, even with relays. I can't identify

any
activity by Bill Ruehle, Region 9 scorer and CD, in RAS, ever. He may

know
nothing of RAS. The SSA newgroups may be more accessible though. There
could be some word wrap issues though, depending on format selected. He

has
made at least two of his gliders available to Dick Johnson for testing
though, so he's definitely a soaring contributor.

I don't seen any postings by the contest managers either. I thought

they
posted here up to a few years ago, but I can't find anything, so maybe

it
was something else entirely.

I think the scorer probably e-mailed the results to the SSA office and

that
we'll seem them Monday AM. This was probably the accepted procedure and
then he headed a few hundred miles home like everyone else.

FWIW, I've introduced nearly 1000 clients to the USENET as a resource

for
their business, hobby, or special interest. If 5% actually use it, I'd

be
amazed.

Frank Whiteley

"Neal Pfeiffer" wrote in message
m...
While there may be problems to remote post into the existing website
structure, Tom Kelly was very effective in getting much of the word

out
through this forum. We all anticpate improvements to the site that

will
make thorough reports readily available. In the meantime, would it be
possible for the contest scorer to cut and paste the results into a
message on this forum? There could even be a simple note added to the
SSA site to look here for the latest until the new full-featured site

is
up and running.

Wichita Soaring Team follower
& vintage glider pilot

Tom Serkowski wrote:
SSA members,
We all need to lobby for the SSA and contest organizers to take the
few
minutes each day to make the scores available online in a timely
manner.

-Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E (5Z)

"Larry Pardue" wrote in message

I was curious so went to Hobbs and copied scores from the Score

Shack
window. I probably made mistakes, sorry.

Old July 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Kilo Charlie

Good points Frank and I agree with the 80/20 effort issue. It is clear that
things are not working as they currently stand and what we need is at least
a temporary fix. We have a guy locally that is a true master with Winscore
and posting scores and I'm certain that he would be a good resource to get
that done. I'm not sure that he is familiar with html but he has been able
to fix everything we have needed locally here in Arizona. I also realize
that giving just anyone access to a site is a bad idea.

Even though everyone does not read ras most of the racing pilots are
familiar with it and my bet is that they would be happy if the scores would
be posted here in a timely manner. Thanks to the folks that have made the
effort to post what they can here for this season. Maybe it will be the
only viable option for the remainder of this season.

Casey
KC

Old July 11th 04, 11:31 PM
BGMIFF

Direct access to the SSA server is now inactive. I think we can all tell
that! Instead of redesigning the SSA web page in the off season (Nov thru
March) it was SSA's bright idea to do it right in the middle of the contest
season. ANOTHER not to bright decision!

"ZASoars" wrote in message
I agree with you completely this has been a very frustrating contest

season
when it comes to following contest scores (and comments) . Even now no

final
results are posted for Hobbs or Region 8.
I plan to write our SSA Region in preferance to "Hobbs" as I believe

several
Directors will provide us with the bestbchance of improving the situation.

Old July 12th 04, 02:11 AM
Ted Wagner

For a (pre)view of what we ought have, tune in to the 2004 USPA (Skydiving)
Nationals from Perris, CA this October. Detailed scores and updated
standings are posted in real time to at least one web page (usually
www.omniskore.com). Kith and kin far, far away often know their beloved's
scores before the competitors do.

It is a killer system, though my opinion is somewhat biased. I would be
happy to contribute a similar capability to the soaring community if there
is enough interest and I get the support and cooperation from The Right
People (tm).

Ted Wagner
H304CZ "2NO"

Old July 12th 04, 02:09 PM
Pete Reinhart

"Larry Pardue" wrote in message
..
Larry Pardue 2I

All,

If the SSA can't or is unwilling , maybe the scores could be posted on Al's
website by an interested competitor by taking a digital camera photo of the
score sheet and sending as a jpg. Or some other means.
Al says "He don't need no stinkin' badges" but he is providing a valuable
service to the soaring community out of largesse and good will.
I'll bet he'd be willing to help if egos didn't prevent someone asking for
it.
Cheers!

Old July 12th 04, 03:38 PM
F.L. Whiteley

day 6 posted

Old July 12th 04, 11:50 PM
Tom Serkowski

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...
day 6 posted

I got a note from Rhonda Copeland, SSA member services, about my gripe
regarding scores, etc on the SSA website. Yes, she comes in on her
own time to make weekend updates of info IF SHE GETS IT FROM THE
ORGANIZERS. Unfortunately, she couldn't come in this last weekend.
Thanks, Rhonda for doing this.

Now, maybe a few competitors with good email connections and the time
to write a few paragraphs, could send the report to Rhonda (see SSA
website for email address), then those of us stuck at work or
elsewhere could stay up to date?

We should also all ask the SSA to make it a mandatory (within reason)
duty to post not only daily unofficial scores, but also official
scores and brief writeups within a timely manner. A contestant could
volunteer to do this if the organizers are overwhelmed with other
duties.

At Hobbs, for example, we had Tom Kelly posting to RAS, Ted Wagner
posting to the ASA website and Dave Leonard posting to a Black Forest
SOaring Society mailing list. If these writeups could also make it to
the SSA website, then we'd all be better informed by our society (I'm
talking about US SSA members).

Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E (5Z)
Old July 13th 04, 04:22 PM
f.blair

I thought turning the scores to SSA was a condition of having a 'sanctioned'
contest.

on contest organizers. I enjoy Charlie's reports but he writes them
because he wants to, not because he is required to.

No, he writes them because he is paid to write them.

Old July 13th 04, 11:43 PM
Tom Serkowski

(Andy Durbin) wrote in message . com...
Isn't posting of results to SSA an established condition for using
Winscore? I see no reason to place a burden of writing daily reports
on contest organizers. I enjoy Charlie's reports but he writes them
because he wants to, not because he is required to.

Andy

Well, based on this year's results it ain't happening all the time.
We get a dribble of preliminary scores and then nothing. Look at the
last day at Hobbs. The prelim sheets are just enough to be able to
announce the top finishers in each class. I've scored a couple of
nationals, so I know from experience it's a thankless task that only
gets appreciated if the scores are out quickly and correctly

Used to be we could also get all the logs and do personal maggot
races. Most recent that I see on the winscore website are the 2003
seniors and 2002 Tonopah nationals. We had a really crummy phone
connection at TPH, so I snail mailed a CD to Guy after the last day -
but we did get the data online.

As for the reports, I'm not asking for that much detail. Just a brief
weather and day synopsis that might shed some light on why the day was
devalued to 50 points, or whatever else may provide some context for
the scores. And, as I said, it would aso be nice if anyone wishing to
post a daily narrative had a single place to put it. That's what we
did for the Return To Kitty Hawk last year and from the feedback, it
was most appreciated.

Also, as more pilots learn how easy it is to make an OLC claim from
SeeYou or StrePla, we can get some traces that way too.

-Tom