PowerFLARM Tips Document Update

Old April 2nd 19, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM Tips Document Update

Hi,

Tonight I updated my PowerFLARM Tips document to work well with the latest version of the flarm.com configuration tool. You can download it using the link he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/flarm/PowerFLARM-Tips.pdf

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improving it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Old April 2nd 19, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

When you set the Flarm vertical range to 6500 feet, you're cluttering
the display with targets that have no possibility of collision. I
suppose if somebody were to be using this just for leaching, that would
be a good way of configuring it. All depends on what you're trying to
accomplish I suppose.

Old April 2nd 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I set the FLARM vertical range to a large number when I'm flying at large soaring events - to maximize the possibility of seeing other gliders thermalling near me - or out on course ahead of me. For example, when flying from Nephi at an OLC camp a few years ago, the vertical spread of sailplanes out on course was quite large. When low especially (but when high too), I wanted to know if there was a glider nearby - even if it was a long way above (or below) me. You can call it leaching if you want to, I just want to use all available means to find lift. I respect those that want to find lift on their own, but that is not my strategy. Dick Johnson once stated in a video interview that he'd love to have remote thermal finding technology because it would reduce landouts and enhance safety. I agree.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
_________________________________

Old April 2nd 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I should have thought about this yesterday...

$PFLAC,S,LEACHMODE,1

Old April 27th 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Tactics aside, it's more fun to have data on the location of friends and competitors. Better knowing where others are located provides an additional dimensionality to the game.
Old April 28th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 9:56:48 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
When you set the Flarm vertical range to 6500 feet...

Nice out-west conditions... 6500 is 2X the AGL cloudbase where I soar.
Old April 29th 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

6500 is more than I need here in Minnesota too, but it is needed when we take the glider to Nephi. I don't see any reason to reduce the vertical range when flying in Minnesota.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old April 30th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

I've never been to one of the big events at Nephi, but I always assumed
the requirement for PF was for safety, rather than leeching purposes.
Does everybody there use it for leeching? I assume some people actually
know how to find their own thermals?

Old April 30th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 8:39:21 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
I've never been to one of the big events at Nephi, but I always assumed
the requirement for PF was for safety, rather than leeching purposes.
Does everybody there use it for leeching? I assume some people actually
know how to find their own thermals?

On 4/29/19 6:34 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

6500 is more than I need here in Minnesota too, but it is needed when we take the glider to Nephi. I don't see any reason to reduce the vertical range when flying in Minnesota.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 5:21:10 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 9:56:48 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
When you set the Flarm vertical range to 6500 feet...

Nice out-west conditions... 6500 is 2X the AGL cloudbase where I soar.

Everybody uses it for leeching.

Richard
Old April 30th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...action=clic k

Dang Leeches, there everywhere you go!