transponder 2 year check

Old May 11th 19, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default transponder 2 year check

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 8:30:27 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 11:19:34 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
91.215
(c)Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with § 91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.

You need to check the paragraph (b) mentioned above. Not all controlled airspaces (in the US) require the use of a transponder, even if it is installed.

Actually *you* need to read what is written right there properly. Wether all airspace requires a transponder or not is not important, the retirement to keep a transponder turned on once you have one installed applies to all controlled airspace. Let me help...

... blah blah blah... **or in all controlled airspace** ...ya leave the fringing transponder on

Which is what I said a few posts into this thread, and in classic ras incoherency a dozen posts later we are back to that same point.
Old May 11th 19, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/10/19 12:22 PM, Brian wrote:
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 10:35:54 AM UTC-6, kinsell wrote:
Just to be clear, what UH posted is not correct, there is no requirement
in the regs that an installed transponder always be turned on.

FAR 91.215 (c)
(c)Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with § 91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.

So what's your point? UH claimed that in any airspace, an installed,
operative transponder had to be turned on. That's only true for the
specified airspace, not all airspace.
Old May 11th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

My interpretation is that an operative transponder needs to be turned on in Class A, B, C, D, and E airspace. You can legally turn it off in Class G, but why bother?
Old May 11th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 7:44:47 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
My interpretation is that an operative transponder needs to be turned on in Class A, B, C, D, and E airspace. You can legally turn it off in Class G, but why bother?

We don't need no stinkin' FARs... Once installed, why would you turn it off in flight?
I didn't see this link in the thread. See:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/007288.html
And ask Rick Indrebo what it takes to rebuild a glider eaten by a bizjet.
Jim
Old May 11th 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Please use "Charlie", I do NOT want the full owner of UH to get picked on if I say something wrong or incorrect.
BTW, I did say, "I believe".....
Old May 12th 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/11/19 11:33 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Please use "Charlie", I do NOT want the full owner of UH to get picked on if I say something wrong or incorrect.
BTW, I did say, "I believe".....

The whole thing is silly, the East has hardly any class G airspace, the
West has some, but it's chopped up into little pieces such that it's not
very practical to turn the thing off even if you wanted to. Not that
you should want to. Just demonstrates what a convoluted mess the whole
airspace scheme is.
Old May 12th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

What if you move your compliant transponder to a new glider? Does that trigger the need for a new inspection right away?
Old May 12th 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:06:27 AM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
What if you move your compliant transponder to a new glider? Does that trigger the need for a new inspection right away?

Yes.

Transponder check Neal Fulco Home Built 5 September 5th 09 02:40 PM
Transponder vs. Portable Transponder Detectors John Murphy Soaring 16 December 20th 08 07:25 AM
check it out berben2 Military Aviation 0 September 16th 04 01:26 AM
Transponder check-How much? mike regish Piloting 15 December 2nd 03 12:00 AM
transponder check? Russell Duffy Home Built 10 August 14th 03 11:36 PM