Trying to Fly

Old April 14th 05, 10:53 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
It's been a win-win for my son and me.

Sounds great ...until CAP adults start getting called up to Iraq?

Won't happen? Hmm, I think I heard about some recent legislation - maybe
it was just an Executive Order... :-)

Chamberlain at Gettysburg
Honeck in Iraq

There's something about those English majors g

CITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 15th 05, 12:06 AM
Dave Stadt

A good number of CAP adults are retired folks. I think your information is
not correct.

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
It's been a win-win for my son and me.

Sounds great ...until CAP adults start getting called up to Iraq?

Won't happen? Hmm, I think I heard about some recent legislation - maybe

it
was just an Executive Order... :-)

Chamberlain at Gettysburg
Honeck in Iraq

There's something about those English majors g

Montblack

Old April 15th 05, 04:42 AM
Jay Honeck

I have dropped by the local CAPs office at Addison Airport, but there is
never anyone there. I haven't been able to reach them by phone either.

http://www.cap.gov/

Because they are a volunteer organization, it can be hard to make contact
with your local CAP squadron. This website should allow you to determine
who to call in your State (at the Wing level, anyway), who can then direct
you to the proper people at your local level.

Good luck!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 15th 05, 04:44 AM
Jay Honeck

While the CAP sounds like fun and provides a valuable service, I've
heard from people who've tried it that there's a lot of military
wannabes,
politics, and things that take away the enjoyment. Is this common, or
just the situation at some units?

That's very common. When you spend more time doing useless paperwork and
silly training classes than flying its very discouraging. The actual
flying
and SAR mission training is great.

Yes, there's a lot of crap involved. But no more so than I've found in
other large national organizations.

Bureaucracy rule all organizations.

But CAP is the only one I've found that has airplanes, and actually lets you
fly them around!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 15th 05, 04:46 AM
Jay Honeck

Sounds great ...until CAP adults start getting called up to Iraq?

Yeah, we'll scare the heck out of the insurgents with our radio direction
finding equipment. Look just like big TASARs...

And I can just imagine the noise complaints from the locals about those low
flying Skyhawks!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 15th 05, 04:48 AM
Jay Honeck

Don't you know that CAP stands for Come And Pay ? While mission flight
costs are usually reimbursed to you, becoming qualified to be a mission
pilot is a time consuming effort which will cost you some money.

It will cost you a lot of time -- but compared to flying in the "real world"
not much money.

I am in the process of getting checked out in CAP as a pilot -- I'll report
on it when I've finished the process.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 15th 05, 05:59 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

And I can just imagine the noise complaints from the locals about those

low
flying Skyhawks!

There was a bad guy that said Skyhawks are better than A-10's making a funny
buzzing noise!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 05, 04:41 PM
Newps

While the CAP sounds like fun and provides a valuable service, I've
heard from people who've tried it that there's a lot of military
wannabes,
politics, and things that take away the enjoyment. Is this common, or
just the situation at some units?

That's very common. When you spend more time doing useless paperwork and
silly training classes than flying its very discouraging. The actual
flying
and SAR mission training is great.

CAP pilots as a group are the dumbest ones out there. Give me a pattern
full of first solo's rather than one CAP pilot in the units 182. They
don't know how to talk on the radio, they have no idea where they are or
where they're going, they don't do what they're told or even what they
request to do, etc. It's amazing that CAP can ever find anybody who
went down.
Old April 15th 05, 04:56 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Newps" wrote in message

[...]

We had a doctor in a Bo go down near here a few years ago and they called in
CAP for the SAR. They flew for 3 days at 1000 agl searching. One of the
pipeline pilots finally decided to expanding spiral search pattern from the
last known position and found him less than an hour later about a quater
mile fom the center of the CAP grid.