ASG-29 water dump rates

Old June 8th 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default ASG-29 water dump rates

Was wondering if anyone could provide the water ballast dump rates for an ASG-29? Need the data for my LX.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 8th 16, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Stock water system or "aftermarket"?
Old June 9th 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 5:21:45 AM UTC+8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone could provide the water ballast dump rates for an ASG-29? Need the data for my LX.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jonathan

I tried to get this information for my Ventus 2cxa on this forum a while back, without getting any meaningful responses.
Like you, trying to set up a LX9000

I can tell you that timing dump times on the ground can give you an idea only as there is considerable difference in dump rates with the glider flying and if on final glide flying fast!
I can also tell you the dump rate is not linear as dump rate varies from full to empty.
Good luck with your quest. I am still trying to get my timing right!
Chris Runeckles
Old June 9th 16, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When on final glide, call someone on the ground as you start dumping, then have them note when they see you've stopped. Do this at a few different speeds to see if it makes a difference. Then time a dump on the ground for comparison (be sure to set up the plane in flying attitude as when doing CG).. Finally, put the plane on a scale and note the weight vs. time.

Or, just make up some rough numbers and I'll bet the computer will give the same results either way. :-)

Oh, and remember to weight yourself just before the flight, and keep track of how much you pee if dumping it overboard during flight.
;-)

5Z
Old June 9th 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:21:45 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone could provide the water ballast dump rates for an ASG-29? Need the data for my LX.

Thanks in advance.

The 29 doesn't have mods for the dump valves. The 27 does.

The dump time, also in the flight manual, is 4 minutes for the wing tanks. I don't know the dump time for the optional fuselage tank(not the same as the tail tank). I have dumped full wing tanks for 4 minutes while in flight, then closed the valves, landed and only a very small amount of water comes out. Maybe a pint or so, appears equal both sides.
I do have a small insert into the fill hole for the tail tank and its dump rate matches the wing tanks. Without the insert, the tail tank will dump faster so this helps keep the cg where I wish it.
Dump times on the ground remain the same at least for my 29. I have dumped many times @ 35 seconds from full tanks in 15 Meter configuration on the ground prior to being weighted. Then weighted. Its been the same every time within a pound or so.
Hope this helps answer your question.
Best. Tom #711.

Old June 10th 16, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Replies seem to be focused on dumping from full (or ballast volume at departure if MTOW limited) to empty, such as on final glide. Does that not miss the intent of the activity?

Measuring my dump rates is on my to do list too. On a day that's not as strong as predicted, I want to know the rates so that after an intermediate dump in flight my LX has an accurate weight/loading to use in its calculations. This will be from full, or ballast @ MTOW if limiting, to 50% or so. Thus its this 'range' I'll be measuring, with the wings and fuse in an 80kt flight attitude. The slowing of the dump at lower volumes is inconsequential as on final glide, my only concern is dumping it all before landing.

CJ
Old June 10th 16, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Please do share your data.

Old June 10th 16, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:34:44 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Please do share your data.

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:27:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Replies seem to be focused on dumping from full (or ballast volume at departure if MTOW limited) to empty, such as on final glide. Does that not miss the intent of the activity?

Measuring my dump rates is on my to do list too. On a day that's not as strong as predicted, I want to know the rates so that after an intermediate dump in flight my LX has an accurate weight/loading to use in its calculations. This will be from full, or ballast @ MTOW if limiting, to 50% or so. Thus its this 'range' I'll be measuring, with the wings and fuse in an 80kt flight attitude. The slowing of the dump at lower volumes is inconsequential as on final glide, my only concern is dumping it all before landing..

CJ

Jon, if CJ's numbers match yours it'll be coincidental.
His glider is antipodal.
Jim
Old June 10th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Our ASG29Es dumps about 65 liters a minute starting from full.
From 50 liters remaining it goes down to 60 l/m.
From 30 liters remaining it goes down to 50 l/m.
Last 10 liters go slow at about 35 l/m.

Tail is 1 liter per 8 sec.

Adjusting the system can make quite some difference.