Ok, good 2-place for x-country

Old October 11th 04, 02:04 AM
Larry Johnson

Default Ok, good 2-place for x-country

My daughter has the bug bad and really wants to fly with me. I find it
great. Now what are some of the 2-place that have around 30+l/d and
still allow for purchase without a mortage? Pros and cons with
handling in the air and ground greatly appreciated! Spring is almost
here!

Larry in Avenal. Home of the Raven!
Old October 11th 04, 02:59 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
om...
My daughter has the bug bad and really wants to fly with me. I find it
great. Now what are some of the 2-place that have around 30+l/d and
still allow for purchase without a mortage? Pros and cons with
handling in the air and ground greatly appreciated! Spring is almost
here!

Larry in Avenal. Home of the Raven!

Take out a second and get a PW-6 and trailer.

Frank Whiteley

Old October 11th 04, 03:07 AM
Waduino

Try a Peregrine (aka Krozno)
Search on Peregrine sailplanes or Barry aviation, assuming you're in the US.

Wad.

---

Old October 11th 04, 06:11 AM
BTIZ

I would recommend a Blanik L-23 or 13... but not that easy to assemble
and I've heard the factory is going kaput.. so their price/value may
decrease as parts become scarce..

not sure of the pricing of a PW6 or its assembly

BT

Old October 11th 04, 06:28 AM
F.L. Whiteley

He mentioned something about 30+L/D. Two average-sized people can easily
rig/derig a PW-6.

However, I had a longish talk with Patty Barry this past week. I gather
owning the TC doesn't mean you have Manufacturing Certification. The very
good news is that hurdle should be passed soon and production can ramp up in
a couple of months or so. This hurricane season slowed them down a little
also. They did deliver one handiquipped version to FreedomsWings Canada
earlier this year. www.freedomswings.ca Picture Gallery

Hopefully the seat and leg room improvements they're incorporating will make
it more comfortable. I've never rigged/derigged one, so I can't speak to
that. I personally found the rear seat quite comfortable. Someone
mentioned to me last week that the Krosno front seat for him was quite
uncomfortable after a short while.

Frank Whiteley

news

Old October 11th 04, 11:34 AM
Vaughn

"Waduino" wrote in message
news
Try a Peregrine (aka Krozno)
Search on Peregrine sailplanes or Barry aviation, assuming you're in the US.

Take your daughter to your local commercial operation or club and try some
serious flying with her before you invest thousands. I really cherish the time
I have spent flying with my own daughter, and I suggest that you do not let this
opportunity pass by. Serious flight instruction is another matter, I would
suggest any good GFIG who is not yourself. It is really difficult to teach your
own kids.

I have flown the Krosno for years and think that it is a truly wonderful
basic trainer, and a great club/commercial machine. It is one of the two
gliders that I would consider allowing a kid of mine to solo in. That said, I
would not call it an X-country trainer. It has an L/D of 27/1 (future
improvements planned) and is not particularly easy to rig/derig. After hundreds
of flights in both the front and back seats, I have found no particular comfort
issues and remember few complaints from others.

On the other hand, I am afraid that the trainer that Larry is asking for
(30+ L/D, no mortgage) does not exist. Perhaps a G 103 would come closest?

Vaughn

Wad.

---

Old October 11th 04, 01:31 PM
Bert Willing

A Calif A21S might be worth a look. 41:1, side-by-side, all metal. Less
money than a G103.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Vaughn" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Old October 11th 04, 05:57 PM
Jacek Kobiesa

(Larry Johnson) wrote in message . com...
My daughter has the bug bad and really wants to fly with me. I find it
great. Now what are some of the 2-place that have around 30+l/d and
still allow for purchase without a mortage? Pros and cons with
handling in the air and ground greatly appreciated! Spring is almost
here!

Larry in Avenal. Home of the Raven!

PW-6U is I think the best 2 place machine you can buy. It will cost
with the trailer (Avionics Trailer made also in Poland) about $50,000.
L/D 34, it is very easy to assemble/disassemble. The visibilty is good
from both cockpits.
Do not buy the Peregrine...this glider was built by PZL Krosno under
the name of "Puchatek". I flown the very first prototype built ever
with late January Roman who was the chief test pilot for SZD Bielsko,
where most of the test flights were done. This thing will not
penetrate...it has very week floor...it is not built anymore...the
company went bankrupt...what else. Oh...it is just not good of a
glider. And also there are Blaniks, kind of difficult to
assemble/disassemble, or DG 1000 or Duo Discus for about
$200,000...so, I think that the PW-6U is still the best buy and desent
glider...if you want some info on it contact Charles Yeates...his info
is on SSA web site under CLASSIFIED/ TWO PLACE SAILPLANE FOR SALE. I
also think that Charles will be selling his factory demonstrator and
he might cut you a pretty good deal...

Old October 11th 04, 07:25 PM
André Somers

Larry Johnson wrote:

My daughter has the bug bad and really wants to fly with me. I find it
great. Now what are some of the 2-place that have around 30+l/d and
still allow for purchase without a mortage? Pros and cons with
handling in the air and ground greatly appreciated! Spring is almost
here!

I'm not familiar with the second hand market in the states, so this might
not be an option on your side of the world. However, I think a Grob Twin
Astir is a good option as a relatively good yet affordable x-country ship
for private use. A Blanik is great fun, but if you land out you have a
problem as it's hard to rig and derig. A Puchacz (SZD 50-3) is also a fine
ship, but less suitable for x-country than a Twin I think.

André