Gear Warning Switches on a Mosquito

Old March 8th 05, 04:54 AM
scooter

Default Gear Warning Switches on a Mosquito

I'm going to install gear warning switches in my Mosquito. I'd
appreciate some advice on the location, type and mounting method of the
microswitches.

Thanks

Scott

Old March 8th 05, 02:55 PM
Bill Daniels

I've always preferred magnetic reed switches (~$2) since there is no contact
between the control system and the switch. The reed switch contacts are
hermetically sealed in 2" long 3/16th dia glass tubes so dirt can't
contaminate them. Additionally, they are unlikely to get out of adjustment.

I install the reed switch on the fuselage wall with either epoxy or outdoor
double sided foam tape. Then find the right place on a pushrod for the
little magnet that activates the switch then epoxy it in place.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old March 8th 05, 04:13 PM
Lars P. Hansen

No matter how well you design, place and secure your switches, they may
(will, according to Murphy) fail someday. Flying for hours with the warning
buzzer on is no fun! (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
I strongly recommend a switch or fuse/circuit breaker on the panel, so you
can disengage the buzzer inflight.

Happy Soaring,
Lars Peder

Lars P. Hansen
"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"scooter" wrote:

I'm going to install gear warning switches in my Mosquito. I'd
appreciate some advice on the location, type and mounting method of the
microswitches.

A common generic glider installation uses two security alarm
switches (the type used for doors and windows) that respond
to a magnet. The two magnets are attached with tie wraps to
control rods for the gear and airbrakes. The switches are
mounted to the side of the fuselage. Alternatively,
mechanically operated microswitches can be used. You can
get them with levers or long wire whiskers that can be bent
to a desired shape.

I prefer the former, since there is no wear, less likelihood
of interfering with the control system and they are easier
to align or adjust (just move the magnet along the control
rod).

Old March 8th 05, 06:26 PM
Tim Mara

I've landed gear up......once..(so far ).....with the gear warning blaring
in my ear....I was of course distracted at the time with other complications
at the time.....landing at an airshow, on grooved pavement.in front of
1000's ) (do it with style)......with a Yellow PIK20.....left a nice
bright 2" (graduating to about 10") mark on the runway.....I've also helped
other troubleshoot problems with their gear warning systems that wouldn't
always work...bad switches, bad switch locations, broken wires, dead
batteries.....
The problem though comes from having a system that you become accustomed
to.and when it doesn't work, you more than likely land gear up....
Personally.I much prefer a good mental check-list......mine is still
GUMP'S...worked in twins....works in gliders too...
tim
--
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

. ..

Old March 8th 05, 06:50 PM
Eric Greenwell

Lars P. Hansen wrote:
No matter how well you design, place and secure your switches, they may
(will, according to Murphy) fail someday. Flying for hours with the warning
buzzer on is no fun! (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
I strongly recommend a switch or fuse/circuit breaker on the panel, so you
can disengage the buzzer inflight.

Been there, done that! If your vario is a Cambridge 302, you can connect
the switches to it for the warning alarm. It's alarm can be canceled by
the pilot with the pushbutton on the unit. Other varios/flight computers
may provide the same function.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 8th 05, 06:55 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Mara wrote:

I've landed gear up......once..(so far ).....with the gear warning blaring
in my ear....I was of course distracted at the time with other complications
at the time.....landing at an airshow, on grooved pavement.in front of
1000's ) (do it with style)......with a Yellow PIK20.....left a nice
bright 2" (graduating to about 10") mark on the runway.....I've also helped
other troubleshoot problems with their gear warning systems that wouldn't
always work...bad switches, bad switch locations, broken wires, dead
batteries.....
The problem though comes from having a system that you become accustomed
to.and when it doesn't work, you more than likely land gear up....
Personally.I much prefer a good mental check-list......mine is still
GUMP'S...worked in twins....works in gliders too...
tim

I've been saved from a gear up landing at least 3 times by a warning
system, including one at an airshow! I prefer both (checklist AND
warning system), so there are two layers of protection. If the gear
warning goes off, I know I've violated my checklist procedures, so I
admonish myself severely and promise to do better next time. Yes, I was
using a check list for the three times I almost landed gear up, but the
procedure failed for the usual reasons: low, distracted, other traffic,
request from the tower, etc.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 9th 05, 02:15 PM
scooter

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Lars P. Hansen wrote:
No matter how well you design, place and secure your switches, they

may
(will, according to Murphy) fail someday. Flying for hours with the

warning
buzzer on is no fun! (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
I strongly recommend a switch or fuse/circuit breaker on the panel,

so you
can disengage the buzzer inflight.

Been there, done that! If your vario is a Cambridge 302, you can

connect
the switches to it for the warning alarm. It's alarm can be canceled

by
the pilot with the pushbutton on the unit. Other varios/flight

computers
may provide the same function.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Thanks to all for the advice, pictures and concerns! I will still be a
checklist user!

Scott Elhardt
Minnesota