non-vectored NDB IAF

Old September 8th 04, 09:39 PM
Nicholas Kliewer

Default non-vectored NDB IAF

I was practicing the following NDB-A approach
at F46 (Rockwall -- East of Dallas, TX)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF

And asked for the full approach.

Without GPS or vectors what's the best way to get
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF? How about if I am
approaching the IAF at a 90 degree intercept angle?

Thanks all,
-Nick
Old September 8th 04, 09:49 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Nicholas Kliewer wrote:

I was practicing the following NDB-A approach
at F46 (Rockwall -- East of Dallas, TX)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF

And asked for the full approach.

Without GPS or vectors what's the best way to get
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF?

I would wait until I had station passage at PQF (i.e. the needle
flipped) then begin a right turn to a heading of 060. I would hold 060
heading until you had intercepted the 027 bearing from the NDB, i.e.
until the needle was about 30 degrees off the centerline. Then I would
turn right to 207 (plus or minus a WAG at the required wind direction)
and start tracking outbound for about a minute, then begin my procedure
turn.

When I was all done with the approach, I would tear the damned ADF out
of the panel and install a GPS. :-)
Old September 8th 04, 09:55 PM
Jarema

Nicholas Kliewer wrote:

I was practicing the following NDB-A approach
at F46 (Rockwall -- East of Dallas, TX)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF

And asked for the full approach.

Without GPS or vectors what's the best way to get
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF? How about if I am
approaching the IAF at a 90 degree intercept angle?

Hello.

I would pass NDB than turn right for outbound heading (207) and fly for
a while (let say 2 minutes). After this time make 180 turn for inbound
heading. Probably you will have to turn right (becouse you will be east
of course) but it depends on conditions (eg. wind). Before every
procedure turn look where you are!

I hope it help. If I am wrong- please correct me.

Jarema
Old September 8th 04, 10:31 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
In article ,
Nicholas Kliewer wrote:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF?

I would wait until I had station passage at PQF (i.e. the needle
flipped) then begin a right turn to a heading of 060. I would hold 060
heading until you had intercepted the 027 bearing from the NDB, i.e.

060? Huh? I think 240 would work better.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Some days violence is just a nice quick solution to a problem that
Old September 8th 04, 10:41 PM
Jeremy Lew

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Nicholas Kliewer wrote:
I would wait until I had station passage at PQF (i.e. the needle
flipped) then begin a right turn to a heading of 060. I would hold 060
heading until you had intercepted the 027 bearing from the NDB, i.e.
until the needle was about 30 degrees off the centerline. Then I would
turn right to 207 (plus or minus a WAG at the required wind direction)
and start tracking outbound for about a minute, then begin my procedure
turn.

Are you seriously suggesting a 330 degree right turn? I'm fairly new at this
IFR stuff, but that seems nuts to me. Why not just turn right to 237 and
wait until you cross the 207 bearing FROM, then proceed outbound at 207 for
another minute?

Old September 8th 04, 11:35 PM
Bob Gardner

Let me join the fray. There is no need whatsoever to intercept the 207
bearing from the NDB and track it outbound, so how about (either heading 090
or 90 degrees to the FAC) turning to 207 plus/minus a wind guess at station
passage, timing a couple of minutes or more, depending on the wind...making
an extended holding pattern, IOW, and turning back to an intercept heading
somewhere between 340 and 000? Makes sense to me. Only those pilots who are
wedded to the 45-180 course reversal would do that much maneuvering.

Understand that if the winds are strong enough to make wind drift a real
problem, with an 8.5 mile final approach segment it might be better to go
somewhere else and forget about Rockwall for the time being.

Bob Gardner

Old September 9th 04, 01:56 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Nicholas Kliewer wrote in news:413F6E02.5FBFA90
@hotmale.com:

I was practicing the following NDB-A approach
at F46 (Rockwall -- East of Dallas, TX)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF

And asked for the full approach.

Without GPS or vectors what's the best way to get
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF? How about if I am
approaching the IAF at a 90 degree intercept angle?

Thanks all,
-Nick

Do the turning-around in two steps instead of one big step.

After station passage, turn to the outbound heading of 207. Then look at
the needle indication and turn again intercept the course. A 30 deg
intercept will require a heading of 237. Since you are maneuvering on the
protected side of the holding pattern, you should be fine.
Old September 9th 04, 02:30 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:39:30 -0500, Nicholas Kliewer
wrote:

I was practicing the following NDB-A approach
at F46 (Rockwall -- East of Dallas, TX)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/06323NA.PDF

And asked for the full approach.

Without GPS or vectors what's the best way to get
turned around outbound if I am on a heading of 090
to intercept the NDB IAF? How about if I am
approaching the IAF at a 90 degree intercept angle?

Thanks all,
-Nick

Cross the NDB on a heading of 090°. Turn right to 207° +/- WCA and proceed
outbound parallel to and SE of the FAC. Descend to 2000'. After one to
two minutes, depending on wind, turn inbound to intercept the final
approach course, and complete the approach.

You will have done a racetrack type course reversal on the proper side of
the FAC.

--ron
Old September 9th 04, 03:23 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Jeremy Lew" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Nicholas Kliewer wrote:
I would wait until I had station passage at PQF (i.e. the needle
flipped) then begin a right turn to a heading of 060. I would hold 060
heading until you had intercepted the 027 bearing from the NDB, i.e.
until the needle was about 30 degrees off the centerline. Then I would
turn right to 207 (plus or minus a WAG at the required wind direction)
and start tracking outbound for about a minute, then begin my procedure
turn.

Are you seriously suggesting a 330 degree right turn? I'm fairly new at this
IFR stuff, but that seems nuts to me. Why not just turn right to 237 and
wait until you cross the 207 bearing FROM, then proceed outbound at 207 for
another minute?

Du-oh! Of course not, I got my headings off by 180 degrees. Right turn
to 240, to intercept the 207 bearing. Sorry about that.
Old September 9th 04, 04:15 AM
C Kingsbury

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message ...

Let me join the fray. There is no need whatsoever to intercept the 207
bearing from the NDB and track it outbound, so how about (either heading 090
or 90 degrees to the FAC) turning to 207 plus/minus a wind guess at station
passage, timing a couple of minutes or more, depending on the wind...making
an extended holding pattern, IOW, and turning back to an intercept heading
somewhere between 340 and 000? Makes sense to me. Only those pilots who are
wedded to the 45-180 course reversal would do that much maneuvering.

I'll second that, especially as there's a published hold just like
that right there, so you should be in protected airspace at all times.

I was taught that the above method is entirely kosher according to the
rules of the road, and as it requires a lot less turning, there's a
lot less work and chance to screw up or get disoriented.

Best,
-cwk.