J-3 Checkouts/vacations

Old August 10th 03, 09:59 PM
Dave

Default J-3 Checkouts/vacations

I fly a Gulfstream 3 and am looking at semi-retiring next year.

I plan on getting a Piper Cub, and offering a package vacation which
would include a J-3 checkout, sunset boat ride, and a week in a
condo/house on or near the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama. There would be
other goodies offered such as discounts on golf (5 championship
courses), kid's stuff, etc.

All services would be available ala carte, also.

What do think of the idea?

Thanks for any responses.

Dave Rowland

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old August 10th 03, 11:04 PM
Montblack

("Dave" wrote)
I plan on getting a Piper Cub, and offering a package vacation which
would include a J-3 checkout, sunset boat ride, and a week in a
condo/house on or near the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama. There would be
other goodies offered such as discounts on golf (5 championship
courses), kid's stuff, etc.

In 1993 my Aunt and Uncle called my folks and told them about an
unadvertised "fire sale" on Gulf Shore, Alabama condos - on the water.
They'd been renting down there for a few winters, my folks would visit once
in awhile.

Seems the developer needed to secure x many sales of existing (or soon to be
built) units before the bank would give him funds for construction of the
next building - another one of his many 8 or 9 story condo/apt buildings on
the beech.

Folks said no thanks, we also let it pass....$45,000 - $60,000. They're
worth about $250K - $300K today!! ...maybe more.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

--
Montblack

Old August 10th 03, 11:54 PM
Dave

John:

Thanks for your reply.

I expect a checkout would involve 3 to 5 hours. Basic Proficiency is
what would be required as per the feds. There would probably be limited
solo use.

The flight location would be about a 30 minute car ride. I would take
care of that travel.

If someone already has taildragger/cub time, probably a shorter checkout
time would be required, again to proficiency.

I would offer several condos of various sizes, both on ther beach and
off the beach. Prices would reflect the differences.

I have a 55 foot cockpit motor yacht, and would plan on usin g ti for a
3-4 hour evening cruise with refreshments.

Again, thanks for your input. I would plan on geting this going next
March or April.

Dave

Old August 11th 03, 12:29 AM
Dave

The real estate area is still booming here. New businesses start and
generally succeed every month.

However, what do you think of my idea?

Thanks,

Dave

Old August 11th 03, 04:41 PM
Gig Giacona

I think it is a great idea. As soon as I get the plane I'm building finished
I plane to start collecting ratings and this would be a good way to do it.
Vacation with the family, when wife and son are at the beach go get my
taildragger endorsement. A couple of hours of solo time afterwards to take
the son up would cap it off nicely.

Old August 12th 03, 01:47 PM
Dave

Thanks for your input.

I have already run into the insurance problem, but also have a solution.

I have a good friend in the aviation insurance business who represents
several local flight schools.

I'm going to lease the plane to them, which will allow them to place it
under their policy.

They get another a/c to use, plus some free advertising, and I get the
a/c insured and hangared nearby.

I thinkj it will work very well.

Regards,

Dave

Old August 14th 03, 12:20 AM
Fly

J3 rentals are one of the few that might show a profit.
I checked out renters in a J3 for several years then worked my own J3 for 5
years.
My metro area has about 700k population. Summer rental was about 60-70
hours per month just by word of mouth.

However, THE KEY is you have to have good J3 experienced CFI's to give the
checkouts.
Absolutely positively.
Its more than just being able to work the rudders.
One of my criteria was ability to handle a 10-knot direct crosswind.

Also you need a good rag & tube A&P on call.

Contact me direct if you wish.
Kent Felkins
Tulsa

Old August 14th 03, 10:30 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Fly" wrote in message ...
J3 rentals are one of the few that might show a profit.
I checked out renters in a J3 for several years then worked my own J3 for 5
years.
My metro area has about 700k population. Summer rental was about 60-70
hours per month just by word of mouth.

However, THE KEY is you have to have good J3 experienced CFI's to give the
checkouts.
Absolutely positively.
Its more than just being able to work the rudders.
One of my criteria was ability to handle a 10-knot direct crosswind.

Also you need a good rag & tube A&P on call.

Contact me direct if you wish.
Kent Felkins

In Sacramento we couldn't keep 10 hours/month on the one we had on
line, so it went away. I flew it off to auction myself.
Old August 14th 03, 10:32 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Fly" wrote in message ...
J3 rentals are one of the few that might show a profit.
I checked out renters in a J3 for several years then worked my own J3 for 5
years.
My metro area has about 700k population. Summer rental was about 60-70
hours per month just by word of mouth.

However, THE KEY is you have to have good J3 experienced CFI's to give the
checkouts.
Absolutely positively.
Its more than just being able to work the rudders.
One of my criteria was ability to handle a 10-knot direct crosswind.

I should also mention we were paying around $7000 /year in insurance
for rental. It would have been less for dual only. The insurance co
didn't like hand proping renters. I good J-3 goes for about $35K+ now.
-Robert, CFI