Female pilot accident rates

Old October 25th 04, 08:45 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:07:16 GMT, "C Kingsbury"
wrote:

A female friend of mine commented on it thusly: "So what they're saying is
women are more likely to be incompetent, while men are just plain stupid."

Now that's funny!

Old October 25th 04, 09:58 PM
Schlomo Lipchitz

Delta Airlines had a couple of female pilots sitting at home getting
full pay - one of which I flew with personally. They were fired for
incompetence. But when they threatened to sue for sexual
discrimination, Delta opted to just pay them rather that go through
the negative publicity. And that's a fact Jack!

Old October 25th 04, 10:31 PM
T.Roger

And you wonder why women see a glass ceiling. It's golddiggers like these
and Andrea Mackris (Bill O'Reilly's accuser) that cause people like me to
avoid hiring women like the plague.

Old October 25th 04, 11:40 PM
Schmoe

T.Roger wrote:
And you wonder why women see a glass ceiling. It's golddiggers like
these and Andrea Mackris (Bill O'Reilly's accuser) that cause people
like me to avoid hiring women like the plague.

Yeah, there are no bad guys, only bad gold digger women. Who ****ed in your
Wheaties?

Old October 25th 04, 11:48 PM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi NG,

Roger Long wrote:
OK troll, I'll bite.

I'm only aware of one rigorous study ever performed to determine the
relative aptitude and safety of men vs women pilots as a group.

The study was of ferry pilots in World War II and looked at the
performance of men and women delivering aircraft to England.
Remember, this was in the days of poor weather forecasts and
primitive navigation.

The study corrected for training and experience to attempt to
determine if there was any essential difference between men and
women. The conclusion was that there was a statistical basis to
support the contention that men should not be allowed to fly aircraft
at all!

I have no idea about statistics, but will offer my opinion anyway:

Two abilities play a major role in flying an aircraft: spatial
orientation and the ability to perform several tasks at the same time.
While the first is mainly atributed to men, the second is clearly a
female stronghold!

So on the skill side it's 1:1. On the judgement side someone has
already mentioned the general statement, that women tend to act
incompentent, while men tend to act plain stupid.

Overall you can pull just the same arguments used generally in "women
driver" discussions.

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old October 25th 04, 11:51 PM
Sylvia Else

NoPoliticsHere wrote:

I haven't seen any stats on this, but it seems to me that, just
maybe, there could be a much higher rate of crashes when there
are ladies in the cockpit. Maybe this is not the case, and I'm sure
the more PC gents here will be quick to jump on me for even suggesting
it, but during the past, I have noticed more than a few female names
mentioned in news reports about aircraft crashes (with them being one
of the pilots, or the only pilot). Just how many female professional
pilots are there? Aren't they involved in a disproportionately large
number of accidents? Drawing from memory, here are a few:

Don't know about that, but it seems to me that pretty much every
passenger airliners that's ever crashed has had some female cabin crew
members, and the vast majority of airliners that haven't crashed have
had men up front. Could be some strange causation there.

Then again, such an analysis could be as completely spurious as is your
approach which seems to involve looking for crashes involving female
flight crew, and then observing that there were female flight crew involved.

I suggest you give up your day job, and follow your true vocation, which
is clearly politics.

Sylvia.

Old October 26th 04, 12:02 AM
Tien Dao

I think this is a valid question, maybe the politically correct amongst us
would shy away from such a question, but then, one of my friends once told
me that the most interesting questions are those that are politically
incorrect at the time. I would like to see the research not for the purpose
of NOT hiring women or the like, but the see what differences in error
making actually exists between the two sexes. Maybe both sexes can learn
from their genetic predispositions and be on the look out more carefully.

OT: on the other hand, I see that women are imho, better physicians than
men. They are smarter, read more, are more up to date, are more demanding
of themselves and of others around them (which means they can be more of a
pain in the ass too) and are just as skilled manually as men. Again, off
topic, women`s complaints of sexual discrimination and harassment do
occasionally make them fall victim even before starting, because people are
afraid to hire them and treat them as they do men, for fear they will use
the sex card against their employer. A friend`s husband was fired for
alleged sexual harassment in a software company but never got an opportunity
to defend himself. Let go immediately that same day and told that if he
shut up and accepted the plight, this would not show up on this work record.
Considering the software business lately, he had little choice.

Tien

om...

Old October 26th 04, 12:24 AM
Robert M. Gary

(NoPoliticsHere) wrote in message . com...
I haven't seen any stats on this, but it seems to me that, just
maybe, there could be a much higher rate of crashes when there
are ladies in the cockpit. Maybe this is not the case, and I'm sure
the more PC gents here will be quick to jump on me for even suggesting
it, but during the past, I have noticed more than a few female names
mentioned in news reports about aircraft crashes (with them being one
of the pilots, or the only pilot). Just how many female professional
pilots are there? Aren't they involved in a disproportionately large
number of accidents? Drawing from memory, here are a few:

At one point female Navy jet flighter pilots had a much higher
accident rate than men. However, the Navy was quickly trying to
address a mandate from congress that they have a certain number of
women flying. Since there were fewer women applying, they selected
women that would not otherwise have qualified. They also pushed them
through faster with less training. The results were obvious. Much of
this came out after video come out showing a female pilot crashing
into the sea, missing the carrier as the LSO yelled "power, power,
power". Her parents asked for a congressional investigation and even
asked the navy to go down and retrieve the plane out of the ocean
(which they did). The result was almost 1/2 dozen different opinions
on the accident.

-Robert