New Ministers of National Defence in Canada

Old December 13th 03, 01:37 PM
Allen

"Brian Allardice" wrote in message
news:kYDCb.693353$9l5.144730@pd7tw2no...

Snip

Martin is supposedly for reconstituting* the Canadian Armed Forces.
Is this considered a step in that direction, and have any
general-specifics been laid out as of yet?

* My term.

as far as I know, no. And in an instant globe and mail poll, the

military came
near the bottom of our priorities. Bloody good for us!

Prime Minister Martin said yesterday that "it is obvious" that a
complete review of foreign and defence policy is needed. Sounds like a
good place to start.

Allen

Old December 13th 03, 01:50 PM
Carter Lee

J_Harmeson wrote:
"Carter Lee" wrote in message

Slow down, he was sworn in only today. :^)

Carter

+ Christmas break, they be back Jan/Feb, the an election could be called
before April.

Actually the first cabinet meeting is in progress right now. It
started at 0900 hrs today, 13 Dec 03.

Carter

Old December 13th 03, 01:54 PM
Carter Lee

Dewey wrote:

agreed...

we've seen and heard all this rhetoric before, and it will get worse before
getting better.

Chretien was no friend to the military. Personally, I'm glad he is history.

I can't think of a single PM, who in a space of 10 years, almost
single-handily brought the military to it's knees.

I can, Trudeau and it took him less than ten years.

Actually it was Trudeau who started it.

Carter

Old December 13th 03, 02:12 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Carter Lee wrote:

Dewey wrote:

agreed...

we've seen and heard all this rhetoric before, and it will get worse before
getting better.

Chretien was no friend to the military. Personally, I'm glad he is history.

I can't think of a single PM, who in a space of 10 years, almost
single-handily brought the military to it's knees.

I can, Trudeau and it took him less than ten years.

Actually it was Trudeau who started it.

I believe the credit properly goes to Louis St-Laurent, whose
government commissioned John Glassco (who recommended integration)
which was implemented, along with unification on Pearson's watch
(after Diefenbaker's "Turn in your pencil stub to get a new one"
period) then crowned by Trudeau with his "Defence in the 70's" White
Paper. Of these, I think only Pearson, a veteran of the CEF and the
RFC, understood the institution with which he was meddling.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old December 13th 03, 02:15 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Allen wrote:

"Brian Allardice" wrote in message

Snip

Martin is supposedly for reconstituting* the Canadian Armed Forces.
Is this considered a step in that direction, and have any
general-specifics been laid out as of yet?

* My term.

as far as I know, no. And in an instant globe and mail poll, the

military came
near the bottom of our priorities. Bloody good for us!

Prime Minister Martin said yesterday that "it is obvious" that a
complete review of foreign and defence policy is needed. Sounds like a
good place to start.

If the silly buggers would only do it from first principles, we could
at least be assured of a semi-sane product. I am afraid useless
infrastructure will be preserved to save the votes that go with it.
Old December 13th 03, 02:17 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Brian Allardice wrote:

as far as I know, no. And in an instant globe and mail poll, the military
came near the bottom of our priorities. Bloody good for us!

The Canadian public, if asked whether to spend money on guns or
butter, will ask for K-Y Jelly because they don't understand the
question.
Old December 13th 03, 03:30 PM
Fred J. McCall

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

:Brian Allardice wrote:
:
: as far as I know, no. And in an instant globe and mail poll, the military
: came near the bottom of our priorities. Bloody good for us!
:
:The Canadian public, if asked whether to spend money on guns or
:butter, will ask for K-Y Jelly because they don't understand the
:question.

Or perhaps they just want to make the screwing their government tends
to give them a bit more comfortable....

Old December 13th 03, 03:48 PM
Jack

as far as I know, no. And in an instant globe and mail poll, the
military came
near the bottom of our priorities. Bloody good for us!

Prime Minister Martin said yesterday that "it is obvious" that a
complete review of foreign and defence policy is needed. Sounds like a
good place to start.

Allen

My initial opinion of the New PM is that he is a highy intelligent and
practical man. I nice change from the last 10 years