millenium cylinders and 80 octane

Old March 9th 04, 04:20 AM
R. Wubben

Default millenium cylinders and 80 octane

I am curious about a situation I haven't encountered before.

I just bought a '62 Cessna 172 with 70 hours on an overhauled 0-300
engine. New millenium cylinders were installed.

Can I, or should I, run on 80 octane or 100LL?

The airport that I'm moving to has 80 octane available (a rarity in
this day and age).

My previous airplane was a '59 Forney F-1 (Ercoupe) with a C-90 and
regular cylinders and I had two stuck exhaust valves in 2 years
despite aggresive leaning while running on 100LL (but not putting in
any Marvel Mystery Oil or AvBlend).

So, 80 or 100?
MMO or AvBlend or nothing? (does one need to mess with these if you
are running on 80?).

Thanks,
Ryan Wubben
Old March 9th 04, 04:34 AM
Dave Stadt

"R. Wubben" wrote in message
om...
I am curious about a situation I haven't encountered before.

I just bought a '62 Cessna 172 with 70 hours on an overhauled 0-300
engine. New millenium cylinders were installed.

Can I, or should I, run on 80 octane or 100LL?

The airport that I'm moving to has 80 octane available (a rarity in
this day and age).

My previous airplane was a '59 Forney F-1 (Ercoupe) with a C-90 and
regular cylinders and I had two stuck exhaust valves in 2 years
despite aggresive leaning while running on 100LL (but not putting in
any Marvel Mystery Oil or AvBlend).

So, 80 or 100?
MMO or AvBlend or nothing? (does one need to mess with these if you
are running on 80?).

Thanks,
Ryan Wubben

100LL is horrible for your engine. It was made for 80 and I can't
understand why you would not use it if it is available.

Old March 9th 04, 04:49 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"R. Wubben" wrote:

Can I, or should I, run on 80 octane or 100LL?

80.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 9th 04, 05:29 AM
tony roberts

So, 80 or 100?
MMO or AvBlend or nothing? (does one need to mess with these if you
are running on 80?).

Run 80 and don't add anything.

tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old March 9th 04, 04:25 PM
Ben Smith

Ryan - Did you ever make it here to Wisconsin? Which airport are you going
to that has 80 octane?

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old March 10th 04, 03:07 PM
R. Wubben

Ben,
Waunakee has 80, but it's availability I think is dependant on when
someone is there or having a key. Made it back to Wisconsin about 6-7
weeks ago (just in time for winter). Everyone in NC was questioning my
sanity, but they have had a pretty foul winter down there (relatively
speaking).

-Ryan

Old March 13th 04, 04:41 AM
R. Wubben

It's a moot point. The tank I thought was full of 80 is actually full of 100LL.
Thanks for the info.
Back to square one.