Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Old January 22nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sally Grozmano

Default Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA medical,
but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions that have
occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It seems to be
"common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear of actual
convictions.

Thanks,
Sally
Old January 22nd 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Sally Grozmano wrote:
Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA medical,
but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions that have
occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It seems to be
"common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear of actual
convictions.

Don't know if there are many convictions. The FAA doesn't have to go to
that length, they can levy civil penalties and pull the pilot and
medical certificates without having to go through any criminal action.
This certainly happens, a number of unreported DUI's have ended up that
way I know.

The FAA did lodge criminal charges against the guys who were found to
have claimed to be disabled to the SSA and not injured to the FAA.
Old January 22nd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
David in NYC

Ron Natalie wrote in
m:

Don't know if there are many convictions. The FAA doesn't have to go
to that length, they can levy civil penalties and pull the pilot and
medical certificates without having to go through any criminal action.
This certainly happens, a number of unreported DUI's have ended up
that way I know.

Are those civil penalties part of the public record, i.e. is it possible to
get an idea of the range of penalties levied, what the circumstances were,
etc?

Thanks
Old January 22nd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:49:58 +0000, in
, Sally Grozmano wrote:
It seems to be "common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never
hear of actual convictions.

There's a fine line between not volunteering additional information and
actually lying... Or perhaps it's just not volunteering information that
the FAA has no way of finding out anyway... evil-grin
Old January 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

I wouldn't worry so much about what the FAA does... I would worry that
leaving any pertinent information off the form would be more than
enough reason for a company to invalidate one's insurance coverage
should one ever get into an accident while flying. FAA penalties /
certificate suspensions / re-checkrides all pale in comparison to
having your entire net worth at risk for one simple omission.

--
Guy

Old January 22nd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sally Grozmano

Grumman-581 wrote in
news
, Sally Grozmano wrote:
It seems to be "common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never
hear of actual convictions.

There's a fine line between not volunteering additional information and
actually lying... Or perhaps it's just not volunteering information that
the FAA has no way of finding out anyway... evil-grin

Once one signs the bit that says, "I have completed this to the best of my
knowledge" (or whatever) it becomes lying. But anyway....

I know that the FAA can actually find out about some omissions, e.g. DUIs
(because you also sign the bit that allows them to search the driver
registry) and the recent case where people were also claiming SSI benefits.
I'm just not so sure on stuff like prescriptions. If they are controlled
substances, they have to be on record with the DEA or something, no? Non-
controlled substances are known by one's insurance company, but I am pretty
sure those records are private.
Old January 22nd 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
I wouldn't worry so much about what the FAA does... I would worry that
leaving any pertinent information off the form would be more than
enough reason for a company to invalidate one's insurance coverage

How the hell is the insurance company going to get a look at my medical
application?
Old January 22nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:02:20 -0500, Ron Natalie wrote:

How the hell is the insurance company going to get a look at my medical
application?

They wouldn't need to look at your medical, they just need to find things
in your medical records that are known disqualifications.

The questions I have a Can an insurance company even gain access to your
medical records?

And, can they deny coverage if the omission had nothing to do with the
accident?

--
Dallas

Old January 22nd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Sally Grozmano wrote:
Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA medical,
but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions that have
occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It seems to be
"common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear of actual
convictions.

I knew a guy who knew a guy who heard about a guy who got caught cheating on the
form. They say he was lined up against the wall and shot.

I suspect pretty much everyone here isn't going to get any closer to the
absolute truth than I did. The fact is probably that it's very rare, and
probably directly tied to accidents. (No accident/no investigation) As for
penalties, it's whatever your lawyer can work out for you. Probably a
suspension and civil penalty at worst. That would also be predicated on what
condition you hid from them. Are you having daily seizures?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 22nd 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Just ask the FAA, statistics must be reported.

But like most FAA enforcement, investigations follow
accidents. They don't have convictions or civil penalties
for dead pilots, although there may be torts for innocent
losses.

. ..