Soaring in Prague?

Old September 23rd 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Soaring in Prague?

I will be heading to Prague in the Czech Republic in a few weeks on
business. Any soaring operations in the area that might give me a
check ride in a two seater? Looks pretty flat from Google Earth, and
at those latitudes I am not expecting a lot of late season October
lift. But sight seeing might be nice...

Matt
Old September 23rd 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 05:03 23 September 2009, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I will be heading to Prague in the Czech Republic in a few weeks on
business. Any soaring operations in the area that might give me a
check ride in a two seater? Looks pretty flat from Google Earth, and
at those latitudes I am not expecting a lot of late season October
lift. But sight seeing might be nice...

Matt

Zbrasvalice 49°48'53.27"N 15°12'13.31"E
about 60km SE of Prague, home of HpH, http://tinyurl.com/l4mnvq

and see this article
http://www.pacificsoaring.org/articles/Zbraslavice.html
Old September 23rd 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:03:38 -0700 (PDT), "Matt Herron Jr."
wrote:

I will be heading to Prague in the Czech Republic in a few weeks on
business.

Ask your boss to give me a job...;-)

Utterly beautiful city. The view of the castle from the Old Town
across the Charles Bridge is breathtaking...

rj
Old September 23rd 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:03:38 -0700, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

I will be heading to Prague in the Czech Republic in a few weeks on
business. Any soaring operations in the area that might give me a check
ride in a two seater? Looks pretty flat from Google Earth, and at those
latitudes I am not expecting a lot of late season October lift. But
sight seeing might be nice...

Sazena - 36 km north of Prague, 50 19 18.06 N, 14 15 46.87 E, just off
the main road that runs NNW to Dresden. The pinpoint is on the gliding
club's hangars. When I was there in 1997 they had an Antonov A-15
assembled in the hangar.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 23rd 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Olson[_2_]

Check out http://www.aeroklub.cz/souradnice-letist-v-cr.html
gives you a map with web links to all Czech aeroclubs - beautiful country.
Prague is a beautiful city somewhat spoilt by tourism though and quite a
seedy underbelly to it!

Old September 23rd 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Great soaring site! You'll be quite impressed with the way their club
operates and the facilities there..plus Czech Republic is an ultra cultural
experience and has old and also ultra new...while you're there check with
HpH and see if you can't arrange a demo flight in the 304S.....I'm sure
they'll be happy to accomdate you...and once you do give us a full report!
Tim

Old September 24th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vit Hradecky

I would recommend the airport in Benesov (aka Nesvacily) about 40 min
from Prague. There are two gliding outfits:
* Glider Aerobatic Club: http://www.aero-gac.cz/
* F-Air: http://www.f-air.cz/

GAC has a couple Blaniks, a G103 Acro, an ASK-21, VSO-10 (single
seater), and may or may not still have a Fox.
A couple years ago F-Air had a Blanik, VSO-10 and a Discus-2T for
rent, but don't know if that's still the case.

Both are commercial operations with easy scheduling and good
availability of gliders and instructors.

Old September 26th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt[_2_]

Thanks to everyone for your responses. As usual I am surprised by
just how much info members of this forum can provide. It's also clear
there are strong international roots here as well. If I manage to
take advantage of a day off in Prague, I will try to provide a little
feedback to the list of my experience.

Cheers,

Matt