New Years Eve

Old December 31st 03, 10:56 PM
Jay Honeck

I hope you do get a chance to become a pilot. Being a pilot will make you
a better A&P, being
an A&P will make you a better pilot.

Being an A&P will also allow him to buy a nicer plane.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 1st 04, 12:53 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Nomen Nescio wrote:

That is PREJUDICE and last I knew, that was a bad thing!

If you don't have the ability to prejudge people, you aren't likely to live to
adulthood.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 1st 04, 08:35 AM
Earl Grieda

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:10:11 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
:

From: "Morgans"

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:49:07 GMT, "Chuck" wrote
in Message-Id: :

So... What are ya'll doing for New Years Eve?

Why did you post this question to an aviation newsgroup?

So why do you ask this on an aviation newsgroup?

If you haven't noticed, this is a kind of virtual hangar talk place. He
thought some people might be flying somewhere, I'll bet. Just ignore

the
threads that you don't like, and move on.

Life is too short. Ignore!
--
Jim in NC

Maybe it's the holidays, but it sure seems like some people here really

have a bug up their
ass, lately.

Specifically what is it that causes you to state that opinion?

What the hell happened to the brotherhood(apologies to the women, I

include you but a
better word escapes me at the moment) that we all share as pilots.

Nothing.

Is "So... What are ya'll doing for New Years Eve?" considered a major

offense in this group, now?

It's offensive to the extent that it is non compliant with the
rec.aviation.piloting charter:

From: Geoff Peck )
Subject: CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: 2002-01-13 00:45:07 PST

The charter of rec.aviation.piloting is:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

I don't find Chuck's question the least bit offensive.

I find it inconsistent with the newsgroup charter, don't you?

It's not like he's wasting bandwidth on a
group that's curing cancer or saving the world from terrorism.

Is that the only time you feel it is important to respect the
newsgroup charter?

It's just flying, folks!

If we permit the content of a newsgroup to exceed the bounds of its
charter, the usenet hierarchy will soon become meaningless.

Some of you must be a real joy to meet on the tarmac...........
"Hi, how's it going?'"
"F**k you!"

I think you overreacted. The only one being offensive in this thread
is you.

I think what you are seeing is "evolution in action" in that this group is
evolving into a forum of individuals with a common interest (flying)
discussing some topics that are, perhaps, tangentially
related to flying. As with any shift there will be opinions pro and con as
to whether or not this is a good thing, but nature will have its way.

Earl G.

Old January 1st 04, 12:40 PM
Gary Drescher

Nomen,

Rather than rehash past posts, I'd prefer just to thank you for the
constructive tone of your last one, and encourage you to continue posting,
without invective.

Happy new year and happy flying.

--Gary

Old January 2nd 04, 12:24 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:35:03 GMT, "Earl Grieda"
wrote:

I think what you are seeing is "evolution in action"

I would characterize the change as devolution. Evolution occurred
when the rec.aviation.piloting charter was created and passed by vote.

in that this group is evolving into a forum of individuals with a common
interest (flying) discussing some topics that are, perhaps, tangentially
related to flying.

And perhaps not. Personally, I see NO relation to flying in this
question: "So... What are ya'll doing for New Years Eve?" And the
vulgar responses generated by that question bear testament to its
inappropriateness, IMO.

As with any shift there will be opinions pro and con as
to whether or not this is a good thing,

I see it more as a matter of such content being counter to the
rec.aviation.piloting's charter.

but nature will have its way.

Only if the readership permits it to continue to devolve.

Because the newsgroup's charter ceased being periodically published,
the OP was unaware that there were guidelines for the topics of
rec.aviation.piloting articles. But publishing the
rec.aviation.piloting charter in the newsgroup isn't going to give him
a place to post similar invitations to kibitz. The creation of a new
newsgroup might.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:39 PM
Chuck

wrote:

I think what you are seeing is "evolution in action"

I would characterize the change as devolution. Evolution occurred
when the rec.aviation.piloting charter was created and passed by vote.

in that this group is evolving into a forum of individuals with a common
interest (flying) discussing some topics that are, perhaps, tangentially
related to flying.

And perhaps not. Personally, I see NO relation to flying in this
question: "So... What are ya'll doing for New Years Eve?" And the
vulgar responses generated by that question bear testament to its
inappropriateness, IMO.

I believe that the "vulgar responses" were aimed at you for being the NG
cop, not at me for asking a simple innocent question.

snip

Because the newsgroup's charter ceased being periodically published,
the OP was unaware that there were guidelines for the topics of
rec.aviation.piloting articles. But publishing the
rec.aviation.piloting charter in the newsgroup isn't going to give him
a place to post similar invitations to kibitz. The creation of a new
newsgroup might.

Hey Larry, have you killfiled me or you just don't want to answer my
previous reponses about YOU posting off topic? YOU need to read the charter
and practice what you preach.