Another body in a wheel well.....

Old January 1st 04, 04:34 PM
Ash Wyllie

John Galban opined

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man was found dead Tuesday night in the wheel well of a
British Airways plane at new York's John F. Kennedy International Airport,
authorities said.

snip

These guys are nuts!. 2 or 3 weeks ago there was a Discovery or
TLC program that highlighted the case of a Cuban defector that hid in
a passenger jet wheelwell. He flew from Cuba to Canada and survived.
The cruise portion of the flight was at 30K ft. or better. The point
of the show was to figure out how the man survived the hours at 30K
ft. They couldn't do it.

You can survive 30kft without oxygen, people have climbed Everest without O2
after all. Mind you they were all brain damaged afterwards. It's the
temperature that might be more of a problem.

Maybe this new wave of wheelwell hoppers also watch cable? While
not very encouraging, the show did illustrate that the feat could be
performed successfully.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Old January 1st 04, 06:01 PM
Michael 182

For my 50th birthday we climbed Mt. Evans in Colorado - 14,264 feet. I felt,
to put it mildly, miserable. Makes me wonder if those guys climbing Everest
were brain damaged before the climb. On the other hand, spending your
birthday doing something that makes you miserable doesn't show too much
intelligence either...

Michael

Old January 2nd 04, 09:09 PM
John Galban

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message ...
The point
of the show was to figure out how the man survived the hours at 30K
ft. They couldn't do it.

You can survive 30kft without oxygen, people have climbed Everest without O2
after all. Mind you they were all brain damaged afterwards. It's the
temperature that might be more of a problem.

Oops. Just did a Google search and it turns out it was 35K ft. You
can survive 30K ft. without oxygen if you have spent weeks acclimating
yourself at high levels. The person I'm talking about was a Cuban
airplane mechanic. Four hours at 35K ft is pretty impressive. What
got me was the temp. Somewhere around -50F and the man had only a
light windbreaker. In Montreal, he was able to climb out of the wheel
well by himself.

Links :
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...0021210/UCUBAN

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 2nd 04, 09:16 PM
Dave Stadt

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message

The point
of the show was to figure out how the man survived the hours at 30K
ft. They couldn't do it.

You can survive 30kft without oxygen, people have climbed Everest

without O2
after all. Mind you they were all brain damaged afterwards. It's the
temperature that might be more of a problem.

Oops. Just did a Google search and it turns out it was 35K ft. You
can survive 30K ft. without oxygen if you have spent weeks acclimating
yourself at high levels. The person I'm talking about was a Cuban
airplane mechanic. Four hours at 35K ft is pretty impressive. What
got me was the temp. Somewhere around -50F and the man had only a
light windbreaker. In Montreal, he was able to climb out of the wheel
well by himself.

Links :

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...am/20021210/UC
UBAN