JPI Data Encryption?

Old April 26th 05, 12:32 AM

CSnyder wrote:
Seems sometime last year JPI decided to eliminate the ability of

it's
scanners to export data in the widely used CSV (comma separated

fields)
format. When a unit is sent in for upgrade or repair they silently

make
this change to the firmware.

The only thing you can use to plot your data is their software.

Won't
export to Exel, any other database or any other trend monitoring

software.

snip

I first heard about this a few months ago. Since I was in the
market for an analyzer for my new engine, I emailed JPI tech support
for details. I received a rather arrogant response telling me that
JPI's EZplot software does anything I'll ever need, so I shouldn't be
bothered that the unit will not work with any other software.
Ironically, in the next sentence, the tech mentioned that they are
still working on EZplot "modules" that will perform some functions of
EGview. That got me a chuckle.

In the end, I sent JPI an email to let them know that my hard earned
dollars had gone to Electronics International, who by the way, seem to
think that the data that comes out of their analyzer is mine to do
whatever I want with it. The unit is being installed this week.

I personally know of two other owners that have gone with EI in the
last month for the same reason.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 26th 05, 01:14 AM
Frank Stutzman

Matt Barrow wrote:

So, don't upgrade the software? I have a JPI-700 (never registered it, if
I'm supposed to...it came with my plane) and don't really see anything that
would encourage me to change it.

Better hope that nothing breaks on it. Send it back to them for a repair
of *any kind* and you are going to get updated firmware.

In almost five years I'm had it, I've downloaded data to it only once.

To each his own. I make sure that every one of my flights gets download.
I figure if an when I ever sell my plane (HA!) and the prospective buyer
asks how the engine is, I'll hand him a cdrom and tell he can review every
hour of operation since overhaul.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old April 26th 05, 03:14 AM
Juan Jimenez

Does anyone have an example of an old file and a new file so that bitheads
like me can take a look at the raw data and see if a simple conversion
algorithm is possible?

Old April 26th 05, 12:55 PM
Jon A.

;-)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:03:56 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Jon A." wrote in message
news
Fuel? Oil?

File.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:53:46 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Ever hear of a filter?

Old April 26th 05, 12:58 PM
Jon A.

It's a good tool to use if you can interpret it. I think a major
problem is that if you return the unit for repair, you get the new
software, regardless of your wishes. Sure hacks a lot of people off.

I wonder if the JPI folks are really aware they're ****ing so many
off! Anyone have any insight out there?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:44:50 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
Frank Stutzman writes:

Newps wrote:

JPI is getting absolutely killed on the Cessna Pilots Assoc website
message boards because of their anti customer positions. Hard to
believe they could be so stupid.

None too popular on the Bonanza owners list, either.

Or the Mooney list.

Old April 26th 05, 12:59 PM
Jon A.

Ronco;
Contact John Deakin or George Braly for this.

Old April 26th 05, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Jon A. writes:

Also, might be a good subject for a blurb in ANN!

'twould be nice if such a blurb pointed out that JPI clearly demonstrated
contempt for its (potential!) customers well before this happened and
that anyone who chose to buy JPI anyway should have expected something
like this to happen.

--kyler
Old April 26th 05, 10:37 PM
Juan Jimenez

That requires that people who a) are customers or b) have been customers,
and c) have had this happen to them to go on record saying this, Kyler.
You're welcome to email and tell your side of the
story.

Old April 27th 05, 03:24 AM
Juan Jimenez

Umm... this is on www.jpitech.com now...

JPI will now convert your downloaded DAT file into a CSV file format for $
5 (USD). This feature will be available automatically on this website in the
future, but you can email in your DAT file now for this conversion process.

???

Juan