Switching to JeppView

Old December 1st 04, 01:46 PM
Travis Marlatte

Default Switching to JeppView

This is purely from a recreational IFR perspective of switching to JeppView.
In other words, money, utility, and convenience are all important, in that
order.

Since starting my instrument training years ago, I have had a subscription
to the paper Jepp charts for the central region of the US. This is more
territory than I really need but the cheapest way to go with Jepp. I tried
NACO charts but I just didn't like them. I do purchase NACO charts when I do
trips beyond the coverage of my Jepp subscription.

I have been very happy with Jepp except for two gripes. First, of course,
the filing. Man, I hate that!! But, to go to a total replacement scheme is
just too expensive. Second, the coverage scheme that they have. Geez! Just
let me pick it state by state. Would that be so hard? No combination of the
smaller coverage areas worked for me. If I could, I would have chosen
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. That's all!

My solution for all these years was to file my chosen states and throw the
rest away. That would be North Dakota, South Dakota, all the way down to
Texas. As much as I hate filing, I love just throwing Texas away! Nothing
wrong with Texas - it's just that I've never been there and have no plans to
fly there. And, they get so many updates. It's ridiculous!

OK. I feel better! Thanks for listening!

I was planning to do a little trip over Thanksgiving (canceled due to
weather) so I was catching up on my filing. I spent 3 hours one evening. My
back was sore. My neck was sore. The next morning, I called Jepp and
switched my subscription to JeppView.

The coverage areas are the same so I still feel like I am paying for more
than I need but at least I don't have to deal with the filing. The price is
about the same so it is really a usage question. Carry around 40 pounds of
paper so that I have everything I need, without question, just in case...?
Or, print out selected charts based on the intended route and be a little
restricted if plans change once on the road?

Now that I've already made the decision, I would be interested in hearing
other peoples experience with switching.

What techniques do you use to print out the right charts? Do you really
print out charts for a corridor around the intended route? Or, just a few
selected airports entroute?

Have you been caught without the right charts because you were forced to
change your plans? Ever needed to make a fuel stop or a bathroom stop and
didn't have the right chart?

Do you have a copy of JeppView installed on PCs at several locations
(weekend cabin, partent's house, etc)? Or, do you carry a laptop around just
in case? I have my laptop with me most of the time. Have you ever scrounged
a printer so that you could print a couple more charts? Do FBOs try to
accomodate?

How many switched to JeppView and then went to a tablet PC of some sort so
that you don't have to print charts at all?

-------------------------------
Travis

Old December 1st 04, 04:40 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I use Jeppview/FlightDeck with a Northstar CT1000 to display charts in the
airplane. I only print the charts for origin, destination and alternate.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 1st 04, 08:37 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:46:17 GMT, "Travis Marlatte"
wrote:

Now that I've already made the decision, I would be interested in hearing
other peoples experience with switching.

I switched a number of years ago. I have coverage for eastern US and
eastern Canada. I keep up to date printouts for the 15-20 airports in my
usual flying area in a small Jepp binder.

On longer trips, I usually print out what I think I'll need. One trip we
had to cancel because, due to TRW, any deviation would take us over areas
for which I did not have printed charts.

In part because of that, I purchased a Motion 1400 tablet PC and now keep
JV also installed on that.

So far as multiple computers, the JV subscription allows you to have it on
two computers (but not use both at the same time).

--ron
Old December 2nd 04, 04:33 AM
Travis Marlatte

JV subscription allows you to have it on four computers but I don't know how
that is enforced. I suspect it is by contract. But, for me, two would be OK.
Four is plenty.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old December 2nd 04, 08:11 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:33:43 GMT, "Travis Marlatte"
wrote:

JV subscription allows you to have it on four computers but I don't know how
that is enforced. I suspect it is by contract. But, for me, two would be OK.
Four is plenty.

You must have a different type of subscription than I do. My license reads
that I can only have it installed on two computers at the same time. It
states that in summary form in the manual; and here is the relevant text
from the license itself:

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the Software and Data are permanently
installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a single computer
(other than a network server which is strictly prohibited) that is used
only by Licensee, then Licensee may also install the Software and Data on
one additional ground-based computer, provided that there is no concurrent
use of the Software and Data on both computers by any person for any reason
whatsoever."

--ron
Old December 2nd 04, 01:19 PM
Travis Marlatte

I just switched and I don't even have the package yet. Supposed to arrive
today. My comment was based on my direct question and the answer from the
person who took my order. A paraphrased quote of her answer: "You can
install it on four computer. Wait let me check. That may be two ground-based
and two-airborne computers. ... No. Four computers, wherever you want."

I don't know why they put such restrictions. I can understand a clause that
says something like, "Don't sell charts and don't let anyone else use this
software." But who cares how many places I have it installed as long as I am
the sole user. I'm getting better value. They aren't loosing any money.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:29 PM

Travis Marlatte wrote:

JV subscription allows you to have it on four computers but I don't know how
that is enforced. I suspect it is by contract. But, for me, two would be OK.
Four is plenty.

I think the machine has to connect with Jepp via the Internet at specified
intervals or it all goes TU.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:30 PM

wrote:

[...]

You probably haven't upgraded to 3.0.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:30 PM

Travis Marlatte wrote:

I just switched and I don't even have the package yet. Supposed to arrive
today. My comment was based on my direct question and the answer from the
person who took my order. A paraphrased quote of her answer: "You can
install it on four computer. Wait let me check. That may be two ground-based
and two-airborne computers. ... No. Four computers, wherever you want."

I don't know why they put such restrictions. I can understand a clause that
says something like, "Don't sell charts and don't let anyone else use this
software." But who cares how many places I have it installed as long as I am
the sole user. I'm getting better value. They aren't loosing any money.

There has been a whole lot of JeppView sharing going on. Joe gives his two-week
old disk to Jim, and so on.

Old December 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:30:02 -0800, wrote:

You probably haven't upgraded to 3.0.

No I have not. That's why I suggested that he might have a different type
than I.

--ron