Can't see NASA shuttle pic

Old August 9th 08, 04:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chief McGee

Default Can't see NASA shuttle pic

All I get is "code". How do I display the photos? Thanks

Old August 9th 08, 05:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron Monroe

I believe you will have to combine them all together to get one picture.
Sometimes it's hard to know whether the numbering system means a picture is
one in a series or one part of a multipart picture. Anyways, on Outlook
Express, if you right click, and it mentions an option of combine and
decode, then you need to highlight all of the parts, right click, and use
this option. I don't know how the other mail services work.
Ron

Old August 9th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Barnard

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:46:20 GMT, "Chief McGee"
wrote:

All I get is "code". How do I display the photos? Thanks

All the parts (on my server anyway) aren't uploaded yet. It seems to
be one HUUUUGE file in .rar format. No chance to look at single
pictures, it has to be the whole file with however many are in it.
Bandwith ho!

Old August 9th 08, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
J3

You really need to get WinRAR to combine the files and Quickpar to
rebuild any files which arrived fragmented. Also a real newgrouper
such as Forte. I would never try to handle this post using Outlook.
All in all there are 5100 HiRes shuttle pics.

This post will consist of 325 rar files and 133 par files.

Old August 10th 08, 03:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
All I get is "code". How do I display the photos? Thanks

You convince people that post unbelievably huge photo files, in obscure
file formats, to post them in a format and size that the majority of uses
can decode, without having to stand on their head and rub their belly, while
patting their heads. They also need to remember that not everyone is an
advanced user.

Really, if you found a picture you wanted to have in real high quality
resolution, and if you were to e-mail the sender, I'll bet any of the
originators would send you a high resolution file of the desired picture.

In the meantime, everyone gets the huge file that nearly all are going to
view on a maximum monitor size of 17 inches. So why do we need a picture
file of over a couple hundred KB? Beats me.

When there is such a massive posting of that many pictures in that huge of
files sizes, (of one object, especially) I never bother even downloading
them.

Shame, too. I'll bet there were some good pictures, but nothing is worth
that much time to download.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 10th 08, 01:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ABLE_1[_2_]

With all these possible beautiful pictures being posted for the elite.
It would be nice to at least throw a bone or two to those of us that are
poor.
It would be the polite, respectful and kind thing to do.

To do otherwise is spiteful.

Les

Old August 10th 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"ABLE_1" wrote in message
. ..
With all these possible beautiful pictures being posted for the elite.
It would be nice to at least throw a bone or two to those of us that are
poor.
It would be the polite, respectful and kind thing to do.

To do otherwise is spiteful.

They're not for the "elite"; all you need to decode them is save the
attachments to a file and them highlight them and then combine them using
something like WinRar. Quite easy really.

I only have two complaints -

1 It's not "pictures" that are being posted, so additional software (even
something as simple as WinRar) is needed, with no explanation of how to open
the posts.

2 There's so many of them. J3 said he was posting something like 5Gb -
too much.

Old August 10th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:46:20 -0400, Chief McGee wrote
(in article gZink.290592$yE1.284608@attbi_s21):

All I get is "code". How do I display the photos? Thanks

so far all that's been available are .rar files. Typically a complete .rar
set includes .par or .pr2 files. Once all the .rar files and associated .pars
or .pr2s are downloaded, you launch an app which stitches the .rars together
for you, using parity data from the .pars to fill any gaps caused by
corruption or missing files. Most such apps then decode the stitched-together
..rars and you end up with a folder full of binaries. This is a standard way
of distributing very large files or a very large collection of smaller files.
I've been using this for years to email files to people whose ISPs limit the
size of incoming emails and/or who block .zips (for some reason such bozos
have never heard of .rars, so a .rar and .par combo sails right past their
blocks...). I usually use MacPAR deLuxe on Macs and WinRAR on Windows
machines; MacPAR is donationware, WinRAR is shareware. Both will decode and
encode .rars.

The OP says that there will be 330+ .rars and another 130+ .pars, so it's
gonna be a while before the whole thing is down.

Old August 10th 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:39:14 -0400, Hap wrote
(in article ):

wrote: gZink.290592$yE1.284608@attbi_s21:

All I get is "code". How do I display the photos? Thanks

If you're serious I'd suggest asking in one of these groups,

microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
news.software.readers

Helpful info would include the newsreader you plan to use, the subject
and date along with the name of this group, plus info given about the
post. He says it's a 4.7 GB .rar in 325 parts, plus 40% pars files.

325*35 is a lot of parts to combine manually so you might consider
something like grabit or altbinz.

If you're on Windows and you want to stitch together .rars quickly and
easily, use WinRAR. Just install it, then double-click one of the .pars, and
the app will check out the .rars, check out the .pars, correct
corrupted/missing .rars (if there are enough .pars, which shouldn't be a
problem with 130+ of them in this case) stitch the .rars together, and decode
the whole thing.

MacPAR deLuxe does the same thing for Macs, but it's cheaper and easier to
handle. WinRAR is faster on the same hardware (20" iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo, in
my case) and can decode some things that MacPAR chokes on, but the latest
version of MacPAR is about 15% faster than the version it replaced and hasn't
yet choked on any files I've fed it.

Both of 'em also do other types of compressed/encoded files, including .zip
and relatives. MacPAR handles more types than WinRAR does, but WinRAR will
sometimes decode a .rar or .zip (the most common types) that MacPAR choked
on. As noted above, the new version of MacPAR seems to have fixed that.

I have had to send several CDs worth of data to someone whose email won't
take files larger than 5MB at a time. The only practical solution was to zip
the files up into a single giant .zip file, then break it down into multiple
4MB .rars and .pars and email 'em out. Took forever, but they don't have
broadband and are highly unlikely to ever get broadband, so most methods of
sending large files simply wouldn't work.

Old August 11th 08, 07:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:46:05 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

"ABLE_1" wrote in message
With all these possible beautiful pictures being posted for the elite.
It would be nice to at least throw a bone or two to those of us that are
poor.
It would be the polite, respectful and kind thing to do.

To do otherwise is spiteful.

They're not for the "elite"; all you need to decode them is save the
attachments to a file and them highlight them and then combine them using
something like WinRar. Quite easy really.

I only have two complaints -

1 It's not "pictures" that are being posted, so additional software (even
something as simple as WinRar) is needed, with no explanation of how to open
the posts.

2 There's so many of them. J3 said he was posting something like 5Gb -
too much.

There is no such thing as too much.

Never dive into deep concrete.