First Estonian gliding casuality in 17 years

Old May 3rd 04, 08:05 AM
iPilot

Default First Estonian gliding casuality in 17 years

In May 1-th - the day we got in to the EU - a Blanik broke in the middle of the flight. Possible
reason - overspeed on spin exit. Possible cause for overspeed - not known yet. Pilot exited, but too
low and parachute had no time for opening. Sad story with sad ending. We have one glider pilot and
one of our best kept Blaniks less.

I was in the air with Blanik as well in the same day in another club (my Jantar was sitting on the
ground, waiting for eleron repair). The day was fantastic. Cloudbase 7500 ft and usual lift was 8-10
knots. Something better can hardly be found in Estonia.

Regards,
Kaido
www.purilend.ee

Old May 3rd 04, 12:11 PM
Mike Borgelt

On Mon, 3 May 2004 10:05:14 +0300, "iPilot"
wrote:

In May 1-th - the day we got in to the EU - a Blanik broke in the middle of the flight. Possible
reason - overspeed on spin exit. Possible cause for overspeed - not known yet. Pilot exited, but too
low and parachute had no time for opening. Sad story with sad ending. We have one glider pilot and
one of our best kept Blaniks less.

I was in the air with Blanik as well in the same day in another club (my Jantar was sitting on the
ground, waiting for eleron repair). The day was fantastic. Cloudbase 7500 ft and usual lift was 8-10
knots. Something better can hardly be found in Estonia.

Regards,
Kaido
www.purilend.ee

We had one of those with a Blanik in Australia a few years ago, two
fatal. Spin training, no parachutes being worn. Story is the spin
turned to spiral, overspeed, fuselage bent/twisted preventing control.
Glider shed major parts on way down before hitting ground.

Mike Borgelt
Old May 4th 04, 10:08 AM
iPilot

"Mike Borgelt" wrote in message

We had one of those with a Blanik in Australia a few years ago, two
fatal. Spin training, no parachutes being worn. Story is the spin
turned to spiral, overspeed, fuselage bent/twisted preventing control.
Glider shed major parts on way down before hitting ground.

Mike Borgelt

No parachutes? How's that possible. We have parachutes on sailplanes mandatory. As well as radios.
That didn't help in this case, though, but parachute would have helped if the pilot had jumped
earlier.

I think that the requirements to wear parachute and use radio are important in case of sailplanes.
Reasoning:
1. We fly most of our flights close to the flyability limits of the glider (close to stall speed and
sometimes close to Vne).
2. We fly pretty much close together and glider is very "invisible" in sky at some angles

I personally would feel very uncomfortable in glider without parachute.

Old May 5th 04, 12:51 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Tue, 4 May 2004 12:08:13 +0300, "iPilot"
wrote:

"Mike Borgelt" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately our national body for gliding
likes to make lots of rules and "supervise" everyone while ignoring
basic safety requirements.

Mike Borgelt