"position & hold" going away

Old August 18th 05, 03:51 AM
Bob Noel

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why can't the incoming pilot see you and go around?

Is the threshold always visible to the pilot for all aircraft when
in normal landing configuration?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old August 18th 05, 04:50 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

Is the threshold always visible to the pilot for all aircraft when
in normal landing configuration?

In conditions where a pilot in position could see an approaching aircraft,
except for very short final, yes.

Old August 18th 05, 11:48 AM
Bob Noel

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Is the threshold always visible to the pilot for all aircraft when
in normal landing configuration?

In conditions where a pilot in position could see an approaching aircraft,
except for very short final, yes.

Then why did one airliner land on top of a commuter (iirc) a number of years ago?

Old August 18th 05, 11:51 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

Then why did one airliner land on top of a commuter (iirc) a number of
years ago?

Were the conditions such that a pilot in position could see an approaching
aircraft?

Old August 18th 05, 12:03 PM
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Then why did one airliner land on top of a commuter (iirc) a number of
years ago?

Were the conditions such that a pilot in position could see an approaching
aircraft?

My understanding is that the airport was VFR at at the time.

Old August 18th 05, 12:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

My understanding is that the airport was VFR at at the time.

Let me know when you're sure.

Old August 18th 05, 03:24 PM
Ben Hallert

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Let me know when you're sure.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1MA018A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1MA018A&rpt=fi

16 miles reported visibility, 30000 scattered. That should qualify as
VFR for most people.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old August 18th 05, 04:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1MA018A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1MA018A&rpt=fi

16 miles reported visibility, 30000 scattered. That should qualify as
VFR for most people.

Yup, but Bob's question was, "Is the threshold always visible to the pilot
for all aircraft when
in normal landing configuration?" The aircraft in position on the runway
was an intersection departure.

The question remains, if neither pilot aboard the landing 737 could see the
Fairchild 227 on the runway, why should we believe the crew of the Fairchild
227 could have seen the incoming 737 if they had been cocked some thirty
degrees or so from the runway centerline?

Old August 18th 05, 04:59 PM
Ben Hallert

Hi Steve,

My post was in response to the following exchange:

Bob Noel:
My understanding is that the airport was VFR at at the time.

Steven P. McNicoll:
Let me know when you're sure.

Best regards,

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old August 18th 05, 05:29 PM
peter

The question remains, if neither pilot aboard the landing 737 could see the
Fairchild 227 on the runway, why should we believe the crew of the Fairchild
227 could have seen the incoming 737 if they had been cocked some thirty
degrees or so from the runway centerline?

The accident happened shortly before sunset on runway 24. So the
pilots on the 737 would have been looking nearly into the sun whereas a
pilot looking back would be seeing a landing light in a darkening sky.

But regardless of the details of this particular incident, why not have
the redundancy of having both aircraft crews in a position where they
could observe and possibly avert an imminent collision?