Region 6 South Contest (USA)

Old September 1st 03, 08:37 PM
BMacLean

Default Region 6 South Contest (USA)

Include a flashlight with that book. Some retrieves are long! (Experience
speaking.)

Barb

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in message
The weather for the Region 6 South contest, held last
week at the Caesar Creek Glider Club (between Cincinatti
and Dayton, Ohio, USA) was the same weather most of
us east of the Mississippi have been suffering through
all year: Hot, humid, hazy, and rainy. Needless to
say, there were only two flying days for the contest.
The best day was the practice day. A third day was
attempted on Friday, the last day of the contest, but
only one pilot, I believe actually made it away from
the airport.

Barring the lousy weather, I had a great time. For
me, it was a vacation. So what if I got to fly only
one day (I opted not to fly on the other flying day:
had to fix the car and the trailer...) and so what
if I 'lawn-darted' to the first turn point? I had
a blast.

My thanks go to the club members of Caesar Creek Soaring
Club for their generous hospitality, the cookouts,
and, the free beer available at the clubhouse at the
end of the day!

Lesson learned at my first SSA-sanctioned contest:
bring a book or two. Sitting on the grid for hours
(or in a field waiting for someone to come get you)
provides ample reading time. I should have taken '10,000'
and Climbing', the book about Dick Schreder.

I had so much fun not flying, I'll try to go next year
and hope I can fly more than one day, and maybe even
complete a task.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS (I mean DG) 1-d 'W8'