Wireless at Osh

Old June 24th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Wireless at Osh

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

John

Old June 24th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote in message
This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

John

Some Whataburgers now have wifi. You dont even have to go in. Just sit in
the comfort of your car.

Old June 24th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article , John T
wrote:

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

And someone will be sitting there with their laptop watching everything
streaming by in the ether. Google "ethereal" for more information. :-))
Beware of ARP cache poisoning, also.
Never use any program which transmits any of your passwords over an open
wireless network.
Old June 24th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Wireless at Osh - laptop power?

"john smith" wrote in message
In article , John T
wrote:

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

And someone will be sitting there with their laptop watching everything
streaming by in the ether. Google "ethereal" for more information. :-))
Beware of ARP cache poisoning, also.
Never use any program which transmits any of your passwords over an open
wireless network.

What about power for the laptop while camping by the plane. I don't think using an inverter through the aircraft battery
would be a good idea ;-)

Old June 24th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What about power for the laptop while camping by the plane. I don't think
using an inverter through the aircraft battery
would be a good idea ;-)

I am looking at one of the Honda 1KW generators.
They are small and quiet, but weigh 29 pounds without fuel.
Use it to recharge the laptop computer, camcorder/still camera/cellphone
batteries.
Honda usually has a special reduced price on the field.
Old June 24th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john smith wrote:
What about power for the laptop while camping by the plane. I don't think
using an inverter through the aircraft battery
would be a good idea ;-)

I am looking at one of the Honda 1KW generators.
They are small and quiet, but weigh 29 pounds without fuel.
Use it to recharge the laptop computer, camcorder/still camera/cellphone
batteries.
Honda usually has a special reduced price on the field.

And it will run just fine on 100LL. But if you don't want to get a
generator, consider the phone charging booths. There's one near the
gate in the north 40. I charge my phone there sometimes and I'll bet
they will do your laptop as well.
Old June 24th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You can get a solar panel to keep the aircraft battery
charged and a solid state inverter should work fine to run
your cellphone and laptop chargers.

Old June 24th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote in message
In article , John T
wrote:

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

And someone will be sitting there with their laptop watching everything
streaming by in the ether. Google "ethereal" for more information. :-))
Beware of ARP cache poisoning, also.
Never use any program which transmits any of your passwords over an open
wireless network.

Why would you not want to use any programs that transmits any passwords?
They are just as encrypted as they would be over a landline or dsl
connection.

Old June 24th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

".Blueskies." wrote:

What about power for the laptop while camping by the plane. I don't think
using an inverter through the aircraft battery would be a good idea ;-)

We're bringing a couple of 5AH gel cells and a big photocell array to charge
them with.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM