Light Sport Aircraft survey

Old June 2nd 05, 02:45 AM
UltraJohn

but now you are saying students may take lessons in a plane that exceeds
the higher upper limit ?

I quit,,,,,,

You can take lessons in anything that allows commercial operation or that
you own! The limitation is you can't solo in something exceeding SP
criteria unless you have a medical. Any lesson you take for PPL counts for
SP as far as time etc. it's just the practical and written test are
different (and number of hours).
So if you want you can do all your duel in a Cessna 150 (or 210P ;-) ). But
when you come to solo you will need a SP legal plane and a sign off.
Possibly even a single seater if your cfi is willing to sign you off! ;-0
John

Old June 2nd 05, 03:16 AM
W P Dixon

Yep,
I have time in Cherokee 140, Warrior, and Aeronca Champs...all on the
way to getting my sport pilot! Ain't life grand!!! But I will have to solo
and take the check ride in something "sport pilot" rated. But I am sure
after the dual in faster planes the sign off for the "speedsters" in my
class will not be a problem. And hey I don't have to fly a weedeater!!!!
Embrace it Mark and you may have some fun with it,...and you may actually
make some money in it as well if you buy a few sport planes to rent out!
Heck I drove over 5 hours to fly a Champ, and am fixing to drive 7 to fly
another one and a Cub.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

link.net...

Old June 2nd 05, 03:20 AM
Rich S.

"Morgans" wrote in message

They don't sound "manly" enough. Kinda like a sewing machine, compared to
Harley. Airplanes are supposed to be "cool", and they aren't. :-)

Yeah Jim. Know just what you mean. There I was, out in the desert slogging
along in my "manly" sounding Ducati when a rice-burning Yamazuki screamed
past me. . . again. Three 33-1/3 mile laps. When I pulled into the pits, the
winners had already packed up and gone home. But that Ducati still sounded
cool. POS!

Rich "Pass the Sake" S.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:26 AM
Morgans

"Rich S." wrote

When I pulled into the pits, the
winners had already packed up and gone home. But that Ducati still sounded
cool. POS!

Yeah, but you were doing it in style. Cool counts!

It is already a given that sport planes are not going to be fast. Might as
well get the cool quotient up there! g
--
Jim in NC

Old June 2nd 05, 03:29 AM
Morgans

"UltraJohn" wrote

The limitation is you can't solo in something exceeding SP
criteria unless you have a medical. Any lesson you take for PPL counts for
SP as far as time etc.

So if you want you can do all your duel in a Cessna 150 (or 210P ;-) ).

But
when you come to solo you will need a SP legal plane and a sign off.
Possibly even a single seater if your cfi is willing to sign you off! ;-0

That is the first time I have heard that, but it makes sense. Where did you
get this information?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 2nd 05, 12:16 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Morgans wrote:
They always have seemed to be temperamental. Everything has to be just
right, to be even close to reliable.

That certainly doesn't hold true on the 4-strokes. The 4-stroke Rotax
(914UL, the turbosupercharged engine) seems to be pretty robust. In
particular, temperature control is FAR better because it's mainly
thermostatically liquid cooled, so there are fewer concerns over the
engine cooling too fast in a descent or overheating in a climb.

They don't sound "manly" enough. Kinda like a sewing machine, compared to a
Harley. Airplanes are supposed to be "cool", and they aren't. :-)

They sound manly enough to me. They certainly FEEL manly enough when you
push the throttle all the way through to get max boost from the turbo.
Once in cruise, getting 50nm/gal (no wind) in the Europa is nice too.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 2nd 05, 01:29 PM
ls

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:42:06 GMT, ls wrote:

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Rotax 2-strokes here,
it's just not informed. I've owned 6 of them over the years (just now
got #7 delivered a few weeks ago), 5 503's and a 2 447's. I have
hundreds of hours in front of/underneath Rotax 2-strokes at this point
(500 hours as a rough guess) so I've gotten to know some of their
strengths and weaknesses.

Have you had any engine failures?

Ron Wanttaja

I've had one engine out, with my second 447 on my trike several years
ago due to a bad wiring harness job (by me). This allowed the tach lead
to make contact with ground in flight, shutting the motor down (tach
lead to ground shuts off the 447). Once fixed, the motor went back into
service and flew about another 50 hours until it was sold (new owner
still flies the motor).

I've never had a mechanical failure of any type in any of the Rotaxen
I've flown........ Even the old non-provision points motor I had on my
first plane on which I never checked the points...........

LS
N646F
Old June 2nd 05, 02:39 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

Your right about that Patrick but the original post claimed that there was
some reason a faster LSA couldn't be used for training of a new sport pilot.
That just isn't the case.

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
Gig 601,
Check out FAR 61.327 , you will find it there. Of course if you are
trining in a plane already faster, it's really no big deal. I think maybe
it was put in there to keep ultralighters from just hopping in a Luscombe

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

Mark what are you talking about? Where exactly is that in the regs?

Old June 2nd 05, 03:46 PM
rpellicciotti

My experience is that single place airplanes don't sell. Even though a
lot of people fly their airplanes solo 90% of the time, they feel like
they need the extra seat to justify the purchase. Also, some people
don't like the idea of going solo on a new aircraft type without being
able to get a check out.

A perfect example of this is the RANS S-9. One of the greatest little
airplanes ever. I had one and loved it. They never sold very well
until Randy Schlitter designed a similar but bigger airplane that had
two seats. The S-10 as it was called sold at a clip more than 3 times
the number of S-9's.

Rick Pellicciotti

Old June 2nd 05, 06:18 PM
rpellicciotti

Yes, I did my first solo glider flight in a single place 1-26. Gliders
are different, performance is everything.

Rick