Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

Old July 31st 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

Jim,

Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate them and the sacrifices of
those who operated them. The vaccuum tube computer was an important
invention in history too and should be preserved. However, it would be
a mere passing curiosity at today's Consumer Electornics Show for
instance.

It's not that they are not important, but that for me _personally_ they
do not hold my interest. They apparently interest plenty of other
people and that's fine.... I'll go look at the Cirrus and Eclipse
exhibits during that part of the airshow!

--Dan

CB wrote:
Jim,

Most of the warbirds are classed as Experimental. By definition, they
are "our own" as much as the squadrons of glass-cockpit RVs and
Lancairs and the increasingly-rare builder-designed or even plans-built
birds.

Aviation - especially Experimental aviation, VERY especially
high-density Experimental aviation - is a high-risk endeavor.
Situational awareness is never perfect. Accidents DO happen.

A good many T-6 drivers may be hot-doggers. The waddling TBM doesn't
lend itself to that sort of attitude, though. Having seen TBMs and RVs
up close, though, I can understand how it might be hard to see an RV
from a TBM - especially if it was close-aboard.

To the under-30 crowd who "can't relate" to WW2 aircraft, I
respectfully submit the observation that if not for those aircraft -
and the men and women (now in their 80s if they're alive at all) who
built, maintained, and flew them - you would almost certainly not be
reading this post today. Totalitarian states do not permit
experimental aviation.

Those "ancient clattertraps" serve to remind us that freedom such as we
enjoy is not - has never been, will never be - free.

-Corrie

RST Engineering wrote:
So this afternoon, one of the WWII warbird people who has more money than
good sense, and who never learned how to clear the taxiway in front of his
aircraft, killed one of our own. There has to be some sort of payback for
this sort of stupidity.

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Jim

Old July 31st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Canal builder

Default OT Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

wrote:

Totalitarian states do not permit experimental aviation.

Not true. The German Nazi regime of the 1930s loved experimental aviation
(and experimental rocketry), they even gave financial support. A lot of the
amateur designers and pilots then went on to play a big part in the Second
World War. The contemporary British government tried everything it could to
stop amateurs getting into the air.

As a result, surviving the Battle of Britain (1940) was as much a matter of
luck as judgment. Later on we had to put up with bombs mysteriously falling
out of the sky (the V2 long range rocket). If the war in Europe had gone on
much longer the first man in space would have been a German piloting a
two-stage missile to New York.

BTW this difference in attitude between British and German governments
continues to this day. This explains why German radio hams are putting
together a Mars lander, and we can't fly a suitably-equipped Lancair in IFR.

Old July 31st 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jarhead

"Canal builder" wrote in message
| wrote:
|

| Totalitarian states do not permit experimental aviation.
|
| Not true. The German Nazi regime of the 1930s loved experimental
aviation
| (and experimental rocketry), they even gave financial support. A lot
of the
| amateur designers and pilots then went on to play a big part in the
Second
| World War. The contemporary British government tried everything it
could to
| stop amateurs getting into the air.
|
| As a result, surviving the Battle of Britain (1940) was as much a
matter of
| luck as judgment. Later on we had to put up with bombs mysteriously
falling
| out of the sky (the V2 long range rocket). If the war in Europe had
gone on
| much longer the first man in space would have been a German piloting a
| two-stage missile to New York.
|
| BTW this difference in attitude between British and German governments
| continues to this day. This explains why German radio hams are putting
| together a Mars lander, and we can't fly a suitably-equipped Lancair
in IFR.

I read where the Germans emphasized sailplanes and their power planes
didn't carry much fuel.

--
Jarhead

Old August 1st 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jarhead,

I read where the Germans emphasized sailplanes

Because powered planes were not allowed by the Versailles Treaty.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Ah, treaties, they make the world safe from war.

Washington Naval Conference
Any thing signed by Russia or Germany or Japan before WWII
and many things since.

some support

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in
message ...

Old August 2nd 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

Canal builder wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Name one . . . . one totalitarian state that today encourages general
aviation, that will allow its citizens to build or purchase and then
operate private aircraft in its airspace.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_2_]

"John" wrote in message
s.com...

Name one . . . . one totalitarian state that today encourages general
aviation, that will allow its citizens to build or purchase and then
operate private aircraft in its airspace.

All governments vary in what they permit and when, and they change over time
and circumstances. Unless you wish this forum to become another venue for
discussing politics I suggest you take this elsewhere.

Old August 2nd 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

Dave wrote:
"John" wrote in message
s.com...

Name one . . . . one totalitarian state that today encourages general
aviation, that will allow its citizens to build or purchase and then
operate private aircraft in its airspace.

All governments vary in what they permit and when, and they change over time
and circumstances. Unless you wish this forum to become another venue for
discussing politics I suggest you take this elsewhere.

Sorry Dave, you are entirely right. THE last thing I intended to do
was bring politics into this discussion group. There is a reason I
don't fly when I am tired, perhaps I should expand to prohibition to
posting :)

My apologies to the group

John

Old July 31st 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

RST,

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Great idea. GA is small enough to be threatened from all sides, so we
should definitely start the in-fighting and make it even smaller by
ourselves. Yep. Sounds great. For the airlines.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 31st 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
RST,

Warbirds, you are not welcome at Oshkosh.

Great idea. GA is small enough to be threatened from all sides, so we
should definitely start the in-fighting and make it even smaller by
ourselves. Yep. Sounds great. For the airlines.

Who wants warbirds?! Warbirds aren't relevant anymore. Nobody cares
about warbirds. That's why everybody must go to Chino's Planes of Fame, the
Boeing Museum of Flight, the McMinnville Air Museum, Duxford, etc to look at
the Citations and Pipers parked over in the GA side...

It ain't a Lancaster or a Flying Fortress they want to see. It's the new
Cessna....

-c
(If I want to look at a bunch of people's private airplanes, I'll save my
money and hang out at the FBO.)

Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Piloting 45 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh EAA Warbirds ??? Paul Restoration 0 July 11th 04 04:17 AM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM