Dog Fight For the Presidency

Old September 6th 04, 10:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

Nice try--that article (13 Feb) about Calhoun was published *before*
Trudeau made his offer;

Yup, ten days before. You'd think a political cartoonist would make some
effort to stay on top of things.

Calhoun was one of the two "not credible" witnesses
mentioned in Trudeau's initial release.

Calhoun was a "credible witness" by any reasonable definition.

Nope, the point is that Trudeau refised to consider either Calhoun or the
lady from Alabama (the other witness who had already come forward) as
meeing his own strange criteria for credibility, and both of them had come
forward *before* Trudeau issued his challenge. There has been no
mention that Calhoun ever even *submitted* for the reward. And FYI,
Trudeau was still trumpeting that no witness had come forward when he
made that presentation to the USO.

"Four weeks ago, "Doonesbury" creator Garry Trudeau announced in his
cartoon strip the "Bush Guard Service" contest: "We're offering $10,000
cash to any witness who can definitively corroborate Mr. Bush's claim"
that three decades before he became President, he served in the Alabama
National Guard. "So if you served with Mr. Bush - even if only in the
officers' club - we want to hear from you right now! Why? So we can put
this trash story to rest and get back to the real issues." Well, it turns
out
that no credible witness has come forward to claim the prize, so this
week Trudeau mailed a personal check for $10,000 to the USO."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-152467c.html

Or, you can take it in the words of Trudeau himself: " Alas, none of the
over 1600 entries we received qualified for the proferred $10,000."

www.doonesbury.com/strip/faqs/faq_sl.html

"So if you served with Mr. Bush - even if only in the officers' club - we
want to hear from you right now!", says Trudeau. Well, Calhoun meets that
criterion.

So, to sum it all up--you were wrong, weren't you?

No, Kevin, I wasn't wrong. You were wrong. I said a witness came forward
and Trudeau paid the USO. That is what happened. You said the money was
offered up as an individual reward. But it wasn't offered as an individual
reward, the money was to go to the USO from the start.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M23723A39

Old September 6th 04, 10:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Cervo" wrote in message

Then why is the offer still posted?

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/bush_guard.html

Same reason many outdated webpages are still available.

Apparently Calhoun's dates did not jibe with the dates that Bush claims to
have been in Alabama, and the money was never paid.
Maybe he mistook The Kingfish for GWB.

Or maybe he's just a bit fuzzy on the dates after more than thirty years.

I can clearly remember many things from throughout my life that I can't pin
down to a specific date. A canoe trip as a Boy Scout, for example. It was
on the Oconto River. We came upon same fast water and hit a submerged tree,
capsizing us. Had to dry out all our gear at our campsite in Suring. I can
remember the trip, but I can't remember the date. It would have been in the
summer of 1970 or 1971.

Why should it be any different with Calhoun? He served in the Alabama ANG a
long time, briefly alongside George Bush. He remembers him, they shared an
office, sometimes they dined together. So what if he got the dates wrong?
Did Trudeau expect a witness to present a diary, with entries like "7/8/72 -
Dined today with George W. Bush. Had the special. Got gas."? If he'd had
that kind of detail Trudeau would have claimed it was a fabrication, and
probably have been right!