ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old February 2nd 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

I flew with a ClearNAV for the last few years I owned my previous glider and loved it. I fell in love with it when it first came out and convinced a friend to install it in his glider.

BUT.... From day one I asked for FAI task support. When planning to buy my new glider in early 2016, i had decided that it will have a LX9000 after talking to Chip about the lack of this feature and not getting a good feeling that it would happen. Apparently, it is now a feature??

The issue is that when flying a FAI task, the finish altitude is determined at time of crossing the start line. With the CN, I had to watch the screen and make an immediate mental note of the altitude as I crossed the line. After starting, then computer only provided a time, not altitude.

The LX has a glide amoeba, but just one, not the much more useful two of the CN. On the LX instead of a line, it shades the unreachable area using a configurable color.

The LX does real time OLC distance calculation, but doesn't do a FAI triangle - it just finds the biggest triangle regardless it's dimensions.

Overall, the LX9000 is not as user friendly as the CN, which really is a set and forget instrument. But in the end, the LX has fewer negatives, and I feel they will address user issues.

The ClearNAV has a user forum which is lacking for the LX, but it was very frustrating that there really wasn't a two-way dialog between users and developers. Evan did a great job moderating and responding, but he's just the messenger and it never seemed like the developers got involved. His typical response was "that's a good idea, I'll pass it on", but nothing ever happened.
Old February 2nd 18, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh, forgot to mention that the glider I ended up buying had a LX9000, so it my my decision for me.

Since then I've added a Butterfly vario which is my primary vario. The wind information it presents is amazing and extremely useful in the mountains. You wouldn't believe how much direction and velocity changes over small distances.

5Z
Old February 2nd 18, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary is absolutely correct. The proof is in seeing progress and there has not been much for people outside of our team working at ClearNav to see, but we have been working busily, and over the next few months you'll start to see more things happening. We've have not done the best job at communicating what is going on, so to give some idea what we have been up to, we have....

Moved final assembly manufacturing to Williams, California, including training manufacturing staff
Shipping new products and conducting repairs/service for current customers
Made multiple changes to improve manufacturability
Recently manufactured a production run of ClearNav Air Data Computers for our variometers and a new run of nexus boards came out of manufacturing last week
Purchased and installed a new laser cutter and 3D printer to improve manufacturing (and packaging and prototyping)
3D scanned parts, producing 3D CAD models and test pieces

And of course software is the heart of everything, and we have rejuvenated that work, there is ongoing software development happening:
ClearNav Variometer software development by David Masson
ClearNav Navigator software development by Chip Garner and Andy Hogben.

We are working on cleaning up ClearNav marketing and improving the outdated website.

We've done a lot of work to understand the glider computer business. The most important thing that we can do is make sure ClearNav is successful so it is around for many years to come. We are well aware of the history with Cambridge Aero, and being a pioneer, even one as good as Cambridge is not enough. We are proud to be associated with the legacy of Cambridge Aero Instruments. We purchased ClearNav exactly because we believe in the products and their design philosophy want to see them have a long successful future.

We are especially proud of our loyal customer base. It is heartening to know that at least 7 of the top ten contestants of the US 18m nationals choose to fly with Clear Nav .

We do enjoy user feedback, please post on the ClearNav forum at ClearNav.net your suggestions.

Please come and talk with us at our booth at the SSA Convention in Reno.

Rex Mayes
ClearNav
Old February 2nd 18, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:06:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:

BUT.... From day one I asked for FAI task support. When planning to buy my new glider in early 2016, i had decided that it will have a LX9000 after talking to Chip about the lack of this feature and not getting a good feeling that it would happen. Apparently, it is now a feature??

The FAI task support in CN2 is among the best features of the software now. IMO, this was done "just right". That was brought out in early 2016. I flew it for the first time on a 1000K diplome attempt and had no issues (either with the software or the 1000K :-)).

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 2nd 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 3:20:02 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

The FAI task support in CN2 is among the best features of the software now.
IMO, this was done "just right". That was brought out in early 2016.
I flew it for the first time on a 1000K diplome attempt and had no issues
(either with the software or the 1000K :-)).

I had a long talk with Chip about that around March 2016, so he probably implemented some of the stuff we talked about :-)

With that in mind and what Rex posted, I think it's a tough call on which is "better".

5Z
Old February 2nd 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Does anyone have any idea what the number of installations is for each brand worldwide and / or in the US?

Just curious.

Lou
Old February 2nd 18, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I have brand new, delivered two weeks ago, serial number 10497 sitting in the office, so that would be "1500" LX 9000's and then one would need to add all the 9050's, 9070's, 8000's and 8080's that all run the same software too.

Old February 2nd 18, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chuck[_3_]

How many sold?

From the LX Nav website:
Lx8000. 1450 sold
Lx8080. 1350 sold
Lx9000. 1800 sold
Lx9050. 750 sold
Lx9070. 650 sold.
FWIW.
Old February 3rd 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:31:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

LX continues software upgrades to older models,
ClearNav seemed to left owners of CN1 forgotten.
If someone spends over $2000 for CN2 now, and you develop CN3 next year....

Ryszard
Old February 3rd 18, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have owned the ClearNav in a Ventus 2C and currently LX-8000 in my JS-1.

Until the recent software upgrade to Version 6, I would have said hands-down the ClearNav was the best.
The ClearNav simplicity and intuitive display is very attractive.

The LXNav Version 6 of the software has introduced a number of features which are pretty cool:
1. Bridge between Becker radio (AR6201). Selecting "Near" airport puts the radio on standby frequency for that airport.
2. Iso lines for AAT optimization are a big improvement, but not as intuitive as the ClearNav.
3. Support for USB downloads/uploads, instead of only SD cards.
4. Flap indicator.

Things that need improving on the LX-8/9000
1. AAT speed achieved seems to be consistently off by a couple of MPH. May be an end-user error (help anyone?)
2. Thermal assistant is not adjusted for wind, so after a few turns, the track is just a smear on the screen (ClearNav/XCSoar is better here).
3. Manuals need an upgrade (ClearNav hardly needs one).
4. Amoeba with lines rather than shading.

I think the comparison of Windows (LXNav) vs Mac (ClearNav) is accurate.
Both are great units, with the new features tipping the scales slightly toward LXNav.

We need an LXNav forum!

David
FC