Ki-45 at Garber

Old September 2nd 04, 10:41 PM
old hoodoo

Default Ki-45 at Garber

I can't seem to find any confirmation, either way, on whether
the Ki-45 at Garber is a complete aircraft or just the fuselage
missing tail section and wings/engines. The fuselage appears
to be in great shape and has been photo'd several times, but
fuselage only.

Old September 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
JDupre5762

I can't seem to find any confirmation, either way, on whether
the Ki-45 at Garber is a complete aircraft or just the fuselage
missing tail section and wings/engines.

This is the twin engined night fighter right?

As I recall from the book Restoring Museum Aircraft the whole aircraft was
restored sometime ago. The internal equipment is incomplete especially the air
intercept radar equipment. But there are photos of the major components being
restored.

John Dupre'
Old September 3rd 04, 10:18 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:41:54 -0500, old hoodoo
wrote:

I can't seem to find any confirmation, either way, on whether
the Ki-45 at Garber is a complete aircraft or just the fuselage
missing tail section and wings/engines. The fuselage appears
to be in great shape and has been photo'd several times, but
fuselage only.

Have you looked online at the collection at Udvar-Hazy? If the Ki-45
was moved out there, it's likely entire. If it isn't there, then it
probably is either incomplete and still in restoration, if the fuse
was as good as you say.

I don't remember seeing the plane when I was at U-H in January.

I'm sure it's still possible to tour Garber (when I was last there, it
not only had bits and pieces of airplanes, but also contained a lot of
archival stuff). But I suspect you'll have to make advance
arrangements with NASM.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old September 3rd 04, 04:24 PM
None

wrote:

[...]

Actually I've heard it's no longer possible to tour Garber. That's also
what it says on their web site:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/garber/

Old September 6th 04, 07:10 AM
old hoodoo

You are probably referring to the Gekko (Irving) night fighter which was
restored
and on display at Udvar-Hazy. This is the other twin engined Japanese
fighter, that the Japanese made in relatively large numbers and were
very active in daylight operations.

The Ki-45 hasn't been restored yet, maybe there is nothing to restore
other than the fuselage. I hope there is as it is a pretty a/c.

AL

Old September 6th 04, 02:43 PM
JDupre5762

You are probably referring to the Gekko (Irving) night fighter which was
restored
and on display at Udvar-Hazy. This is the other twin engined Japanese
fighter,

That's the one. I left Restorng Museum Aircraft at work and want have access
till tomorrow. Thanks.

John Dupre'