Want to talk with Butterfly vario + PowerFlarm people

Old July 4th 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Want to talk with Butterfly vario + PowerFlarm people

I am contemplating a new panel. The Butterfly Vario looks like a very feature dense instrument that also works as a PowerFlarm display. I would like to talk with people who have both systems installed.
Guy "DDS"
Old July 5th 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:51:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am contemplating a new panel. The Butterfly Vario looks like a very feature dense instrument that also works as a PowerFlarm display. I would like to talk with people who have both systems installed.

Guy "DDS"

Installing both. The Vario does display a Flarm page, but it does not seem to implement the full function (or even much of the function). I have not flown with it yet, but it does not appear to switch to the Flarm page when there is a conflict, or show any of the conflict information as a PowerFlarm display does. I can see ADS-B targets and I assume Flarm targets (aren't any flying overhead at my home) when viewing the traffic page as little triangles flying through the radar. There is some youtube video suggesting that the "bitchin' Betty" will warn you of traffic conflicts with an audio warning. There is no way to select traffic for display of altitude, climb rate, etc., nor is this displayed on the traffic page.

You do not need the Flarm display to manage the PowerFlarm, I was able to update the software, load the config files, etc. through the USB port with no problems.

The vario hooks directly to the PowerFlarm with an RJ45 connector and supplies power to it. Sentences from it are multiplexed with GPS and vario data through the NMEA interface box to your PDA - all that works well. I am using an Avier with WinpilotPro 12.5, and have found that if the Flarm sentences are enabled through the interface box, Winpilot gives up with "No GPS Data" even though it is there. LX8000 and SYM seem to be OK with it as nearly as I can tell. Not sure what the issue is there, I have looked at the RS232 output and it all looks perfectly good and legal to me.

So far, the vario seems like a very high quality, well done piece of kit. My only complaint is that the documentation is sparse, to be charitable.
Old July 5th 13, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I read the pilot manual that is on the website and found it to be a bit thin. It says that traffic is represented by triangles that point in the direction that the traffic is traveling in with a bar above or below the triangle to indicate the relative altitude. The audio (bitching Betty) is supposed to come on only if you are on a collision course. That is not working for you?
Old July 5th 13, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Friday, July 5, 2013 12:53:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I read the pilot manual that is on the website and found it to be a bit thin. It says that traffic is represented by triangles that point in the direction that the traffic is traveling in with a bar above or below the triangle to indicate the relative altitude. The audio (bitching Betty) is supposed to come on only if you are on a collision course. That is not working for you?

Not sure which manual you have seen the original was only 14 pages, there is a newer one on the web site about 45 pages. I don't have a Flarm yet but do like the Butterfly Vario I have in my DG-300. It is connected to a Oudie..
Old July 5th 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:51:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am contemplating a new panel. The Butterfly Vario looks like a very feature dense instrument that also works as a PowerFlarm display. I would like to talk with people who have both systems installed.

Guy "DDS"

Guy
MM, the asw27 adjacent to my spot at KMEV has had both instruments installed this year by Rex at WSC and I think he is currently flying at ELY. He would be a good person to talk to. Rex may be able to give you his contact info and discuss the non trivial installation process.
Chuck (99)
Old July 5th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:53:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I read the pilot manual that is on the website and found it to be a bit thin. It says that traffic is represented by triangles that point in the direction that the traffic is traveling in with a bar above or below the triangle to indicate the relative altitude. The audio (bitching Betty) is supposed to come on only if you are on a collision course. That is not working for you?

Thanks for pointing out the new manual (published July 2013 so a day or two ago?). It has CONSIDERABLY more detail than the original which was very light weight. Including what the line next to the triangle on the traffic display indicates. Yes, I am seeing the trangles and lines, at least for ADS-B traffic. I assume I will see glider traffic that way as well. But that and the audio warning is all you get - no FlarmNet info, no climb/descent info.. I don't think it changes to that screen automatically in the event of a collision warning.

In another recent post, Marc says that Butterfly is not intending to implement all of that function, as they do not want to replace the need for a dedicated Flarm display. I hope they change their mind on this: I can see no drawbacks at all of using the vario display for this function. It is beautifully brilliant, auto brightening/dimming, already connected to the Flarm, presumable placed in a very viewable area of the panel, already connected to a large speaker. What it should do IMO is implement the functionality of the Flarm display, and automatically switch to that page when a collision alert occurs. The vario bar would still be shown on the left, if centering the circle was deemed more important than avoiding a collision!

The installation is more involved than a traditional vario like the CAI302 I had before. However there is nothing magic about it. The main complication is mounting the ISU, which requires alignment with the airframe and also distance isolation from magnetic disturbances including power wires. I found room for it under the glare shield of my ASH26, but did spend some time cleaning up the power wiring. Power and grounds for everything should be run close together (twisted together insures this) to minimize the stray magnetic fields. That is good practice regardless. If you have to mount the ISU elsewhere, its going to be some work - a large cable and three pneumatic tubes would have to be run.
Old July 6th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:51:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am contemplating a new panel. The Butterfly Vario looks like a very feature dense instrument that also works as a PowerFlarm display. I would like to talk with people who have both systems installed.

Guy "DDS"

Guy,

I sell the Butterfly Vario and have been flying with one and providing support since last fall.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 6th 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 5, 2013 12:00:14 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I also hope that Butterfly will implement the FLARM display functionality that is already in the Butterfly displays (or LX Flarmview). I sold my 57 mm Butterfly display thinking that when I got my Butterfly Vario it would have the equivalent functionality. In today's crowded panels, it doesn't make sense to be duplicating functionality. If Butterfly think that incorporating a FLARM display in the vario is a good idea, why don't they do it properly? Adding another FLARM display also adds the problem of connecting two devices to the PowerFLARM Core. It is probably possible--BUT WHY HAVE TO DO IT??

Regarding installation, I concur with all of the above comments. I mounted the ISU under the glare shield of my Ventus 2cxt but I may have to move it since I am seeing occasional strange wind indications that MAY be a function of unwanted magnetic fields. If I have to move it, that will be a major hassle.

I am still experimenting with time constants, etc. (there are many optional settings and it is not very clear--from the manual--what effects will be produced when these are changed).

The basic vario functions work fairly well (comparing to my V5); the FLARM display needs a lot of improvement; the navigation functions are awkward and rudimentary at present; the AHI is very good. I am sure that Butterfly will improve all of the glitches eventually, but it is disappointing that the pace of improvement is so slow. I got my BV last August and after installing the latest firmware there are still menu items in German in some screens (and even in the latest version of the manual). I would have thought that these simple things would have been corrected by now.

When the kinks are worked out I expect that the BV will be great. The hardware is beautifully built, the screen is outstanding, the organization of screen display elements is very good, the ability to customize is extensive.

In my opinion, Butterfly should immediately implement a decent FLARM display and provide much more detail and advice in the manual(s) regarding installation and setup. Procedures for testing the adequacy of the installation are badly needed. Advice on how best to to shield electrically induced magnetic fields (like twisting power and ground wires) would be helpful. We are not all engineers.
Old July 6th 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:46:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I agree it makes little sense to have a Flarm display and not make it work properly. While the Vario seems incomplete, it is moving the right direction in my opinion, compared to the competition.

I have experimented a bit with magnetic fields and power wires around the ISU. It seems more sensitive to iron and magnets than the typical currents seen in a glider panel. A strongish rare earth magnet 3 feet away will begin to affect it. The basic EMI rules on power lines is to run power and ground servicing each load as close together as possible (twisting them together assures this). The theory is that the field created by the current going out in the power lead is exactly cancelled by the current returning on the ground - true in a perfect world. Of course this is not possible at the distribution points or circuit breakers, but the less area enclosed by the current loop the better. I note that this was not paid particular attention in my glider, either by the Schleicher factory or the people who built up the panel. There was no need at the time.

You may be able to test for an offending instrument by shutting it off to see if there is a heading difference indicated on the vario. Another method is to bring a hand compass near the ISU and try switching various things on and off watching for deflection in the needle. Try this on both east/west and north/south headings. Key the mike on the radio and see what happens - this usually makes the current jump from a few hundred milliamps to a couple of amps and the magnetic field is proportional to current. I assume they can compensate out steady magnetic fields to some extent, it is the varying ones that cause more trouble. I have learned these things from flux gate interference on boat autopilots.

There is very little you can do to shield magnetic fields - you have to cancel them or move them.

I stil haven't flown with my Butterfly, redoing the panel has consumed a LOT of time. So my advice above is from a background in engineering, and playing with the ISU on the bench and in my shop.
Old July 7th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 6:02:14 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the explanations. I will try some of these good suggestions tomorrow.