A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

best location for boom mike

Old January 31st 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default best location for boom mike

Any thoughts on what the best location is for a boom mike in an ASW27? Currently the mount point is right behind my right shoulder, and when I bend it up, the gooseneck is pinched between my arm and the cockpit edge. not comfortable.

Also, do folks like one speaker or two?

This might be a religious question, but do you prefer a boom mike or headset, and why? I have really only used a headset to date.

Thanks,

Matt
Old January 31st 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:51:57 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Any thoughts on what the best location is for a boom mike in an ASW27? Currently the mount point is right behind my right shoulder, and when I bend it up, the gooseneck is pinched between my arm and the cockpit edge. not comfortable.

This might be a religious question, but do you prefer a boom mike or headset, and why? I have really only used a headset to date.

Thanks,

Matt

On ASW-27 I used to fly with did not have a boom mike, he just had a small panel mounted mic, it was about 12mm across or less (dime sized). Got rid of all the stupid boom business that adds weight and cramps up the cockpit. I'd consider this a good option, it worked well, he just had to project his voice and no problems.

Old January 31st 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

I have the boom pass under my upper arm. People have no trouble hearing
me.

Old January 31st 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 4:51:57 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Any thoughts on what the best location is for a boom mike in an ASW27? Currently the mount
point is right behind my right shoulder, and when I bend it up, the gooseneck is pinched between
my arm and the cockpit edge. not comfortable.

I installed a mike in the panel of my '27 and love it. I just speak as in a two seater and I come in loud and clear. Works great standing next to the glider with canopy open as well. The URL I have for segelflug.de no longer works, but I have the seller's email address if you contact me directly.

As for speakers, i have 3. Radio and secondary vario in the right speaker compartment. Primary vario speaker is in the left speaker compartment.

5Z
Old January 31st 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:22:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 4:51:57 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Any thoughts on what the best location is for a boom mike in an ASW27? Currently the mount
point is right behind my right shoulder, and when I bend it up, the gooseneck is pinched between
my arm and the cockpit edge. not comfortable.

I installed a mike in the panel of my '27 and love it. I just speak as in a two seater and I come in loud and clear. Works great standing next to the glider with canopy open as well. The URL I have for segelflug.de no longer works, but I have the seller's email address if you contact me directly.

As for speakers, i have 3. Radio and secondary vario in the right speaker compartment. Primary vario speaker is in the left speaker compartment.

5Z

Mine has the boom mic mounted backwards, so it doesn't interfere with your shoulder or arm.
Using one speaker for radio and a DPDT switch to assign one of the two varios to the other speaker. Works well.
Jim
Old January 31st 18, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Matt:

My 27 came with a boom mike, but rather than replacing it (yes it was very uncomfortable to turn my head right when trying to speak into the mike), I just installed plugs for a headset (and switches to select boom mike or headset) and used the only the mike on the headset...

Best regards
Enrique
KO