Discus b

Old October 18th 03, 04:27 AM
Mhudson126

Default Discus b

Looking into buying a Discus b SN # 10. Any advice out there would be
appriciated.

-Mitch
Old October 18th 03, 02:49 PM
Ed Byars

Mitch.
5U, Sam Giltner got #10 from Klaus Holighaus with a few hours on it. After
putting only a few hours on #10 he got #69 new and sold me #10. In the early
80s, at a Soaring Symposia at Clemson, SC, we flew #10 vs. a brand new LS-4
on a great Soaring and wave day and a terrible "test day". The tests proved
nothing but a good time was had by all.
I flew #10 a hundred or so hours and sold it to Ed Sessions. #10 was my
first (of four Disci) and in many ways I thought it was the best. Somehow,
it seemed to be "rigged" correctly and would climb and glide with any
standard class glider with little or no care. We didn't know then much about
sealing and other competition prep. After a few other owners #10 got into
Clem Bowman's hands for the Std. Class Nats in Cordele. Clem and #10 won
the Nationals. In spite of not being carefully prepared.
I always felt it was inherently just a good Discus and wished I had it back
many times when Clem outclimbed and out ran me.
I'm not sure of the history since then but I suspect it's still a good
glider compared with others of its vintage and care.
Good luck,
Ed Byars
"Mhudson126" wrote in message
Looking into buying a Discus b SN # 10. Any advice out there would be
appriciated.

-Mitch

[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM
All Czech built Discus grounded Paul Soaring 0 September 14th 03 02:22 AM
18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Discus Wing question John Galloway Soaring 6 August 23rd 03 07:52 AM
Duo Discus Tech note Thomas Knauff Soaring 25 August 9th 03 10:10 PM