A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SN10b and Flarm core

Old May 24th 16, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default SN10b and Flarm core

Has anyone out there ever used the Flarm-core's GPS-out signal coming from the 9pin subD plug to pipe it into an SN10b? If so, what kind of a connector did you use?
I just don't want to run yet another GPS-engine if the signal is available already but not used.
Thanks,
Uli
Old May 24th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 7:26:08 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
Has anyone out there ever used the Flarm-core's GPS-out signal coming from the 9pin subD plug to pipe it into an SN10b? If so, what kind of a connector did you use?
I just don't want to run yet another GPS-engine if the signal is available already but not used.
Thanks,
Uli

I looked into this a few years ago. Cannot recall which port I used on the Brick. Nothing available over the counter so I made my own. Paul at Cumulus offered to have his guy make one for me (Don't know if this service is still available). At current prices it harness will cost more than the SN10 is worth.
Old May 24th 16, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I used my Powerflarm core gps out to send a signal to the SN10B. I don't remember exactly which color wire, but it was in the manual. The tricky part was the wire was so small and delicate that I had issues with vibration related failures. Mainly because I did it on the fly with small grey wire nuts rather than crimping or using block connectors.
Old May 24th 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:26:08 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Has anyone out there ever used the Flarm-core's GPS-out signal
coming from the 9pin subD plug to pipe it into an SN10b?

Yes, hundreds of pilots use this combination...

If so, what kind of a connector did you use?

The 9 pin connector you mentioned above.

See instructions he
http://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_Resource_Index.html
Old May 24th 16, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 8:26:08 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
Thanks,
Uli

I've been using my PF to drive my SN10 and Oudie for several years now with no problems. Use a cable from Cumulus designed for it; not cheap but worth it.

PF provides both GPS and Flarm info to SN10 and Oudie, SN10 provides vario and winds to Oudie, Oudie has backup GPS in case PF fails. SN10 can declare task to PF if desired, too.

In my opinion, anyone looking for a budget flight computer/vario should snap up one of the used SN10s - until you get into the uber-glass cockpit displays, they are hard to beat for ease of use.

Kirk
Old May 25th 16, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:34:28 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 9:26:08 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Has anyone out there ever used the Flarm-core's GPS-out signal
coming from the 9pin subD plug to pipe it into an SN10b?

Yes, hundreds of pilots use this combination...

If so, what kind of a connector did you use?

The 9 pin connector you mentioned above.

See instructions he
http://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_Resource_Index.html

Hi Dave,

thanks for the link - that is the info/confirmation I was hoping for. As far as my comment regarding 'what connector to use', I was looking for a suggestion as to what hardware to use since the 9 pin subD cables are like starter cables compared to what is in the RJ cable.

Uli
Old May 25th 16, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 2:00:05 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 8:26:08 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
Thanks,
Uli

I've been using my PF to drive my SN10 and Oudie for several years now with no problems. Use a cable from Cumulus designed for it; not cheap but worth it.

PF provides both GPS and Flarm info to SN10 and Oudie, SN10 provides vario and winds to Oudie, Oudie has backup GPS in case PF fails. SN10 can declare task to PF if desired, too.

In my opinion, anyone looking for a budget flight computer/vario should snap up one of the used SN10s - until you get into the uber-glass cockpit displays, they are hard to beat for ease of use.

Kirk

In my opinion, anyone looking for a budget flight computer/vario should snap up one of the used SN10s - until you get into the uber-glass cockpit displays, they are hard to beat for ease of use

Couldn't agree more! I like it a lot.

Uli
Old May 26th 16, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Here's a plug for the SN10: I have one in my Ventus 2. I've flown it for years. Now share an Arcus with the new"Uber" display. I surely miss the SN10 navigation page which simply and clearly displays all data needed! With the SN10, I fly with the navigation page displayed 95% of the time. Simple, uncluttered, just what an aviator needs. Need a moving map? Just look out the canopy, where your eyes should be, anyways. In many ways, wish we had an SN10 in the new Arcus.

That being said, if you fly in complex mountainous territory, such as the Alps, where there is a paucity of out landing fields and airports, a good moving map display really does offer a significant benefit. There, I fly withe the SN10 and a PDA running PocketStrePla. The PDA gets data from both Flarm and SN10. Flarm is mandatory in Europe, and a great help in the glider congested classic routes. I'm a big fan of Flarm, and from experience,can say it is a great benefit. Just to clarify: 60% of my flying is in the Midwest USA, 40% in the European Alps

You are spot on: at current second hand market prices, the SN10 is unbeatable for value