Lemmy Tanner update

Old March 7th 09, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gilbert Smith

Default Lemmy Tanner update

From Otago Daily Times:
http://www.odt.co.nz/the-regions/nor...-memory-impact

Glider pilot Lemmy Tanner cannot remember the moment his aircraft
slammed into a hillside at Omarama last Friday.

The crash - which is being investigated by the Civil Aviation
Authority - killed fellow glider pilot Ichiro Murai (54), of Japan,
and left Mr Tanner with serious injuries.

Speaking to the Otago Daily Times from Dunedin Hospital yesterday, the
68-year-old Englishman said his last recollection in the moments
leading up to the crash was of warning Mr Murai the glider was too
close to the slopes of Mount St Cuthbert.

The Duo Discus two-seater glider was being piloted by Mr Murai, seated
in front of Mr Tanner, when the accident occurred about 2pm, Mr Tanner
said.

"I just remember saying we were too close in to the hillside, and then
I don't remember anything until waking up in the wreckage," he said.

The glider had just launched from the nearby Omarama airfield, and was
undertaking a normal thermalling manoeuvre to gain height - which
involved circling near the hillside to take advantage of air currents
- when the accident happened.

Mr Murai - with about 1000 hours' flying experience to his name - was
in Omarama for a series of gliding flights with Omarama-based
instructors, including Mr Tanner, and had undertaken other flights
earlier in the week without incident, Mr Tanner said.

Mr Tanner only met Mr Murai that week, and "hadn't really had much to
do with him" prior to Friday's fatal flight.

Mr Tanner said he could not confirm an account by GlideOmarama owner
Gavin Wills, published in a community newsletter, that the glider's
wing had struck a partially obscured rock.

"I can't say that because I don't remember hitting the ground," he
said.

Mr Wills yesterday told the ODT the crash may have also been the
result of a "miscommunication" between the pair, leading to Mr Murai
trying a last - fatal - turn when too close, having mistakenly thought
that was Mr Tanner's instruction.

The complete story might never be known unless Mr Tanner's
recollection of the crash returned, Mr Wills said.

Mr Tanner received two broken ribs, a punctured lung and fractures of
a lumbar vertebrae, his pelvis, sternum and right heel bone.

He was flown to Omarama and then on to Dunedin Hospital, underwent an
operation, and remained in the hospital's intensive care unit until
being transferred to a ward on Monday.

He faces about three weeks of rehabilitation before he can expect to
be released.

A large group of friends had gathered to support Mr Tanner - a former
RAF fighter-bomber pilot and commercial helicopter pilot with
worldwide experience.

He plans to return to the UK a few weeks after his release from
hospital and has no plans to give up gliding.
Old March 9th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 7, 3:25*am, Gilbert Smith wrote:
From Otago Daily Times:http://www.odt.co.nz/the-regions/nor...t-has-no-memor...

[...]

Thanks for the up-date. Lemmy has educated so many of us on the
weather and flyng conditions at Omarama. He knowledg and experience
have made us better pilots. I wish him a speedy recovery and a quick
return to soaring.

Old March 18th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam St Pierre

Has anyone any further news as to how Lemmy is doing?

At 23:35 09 March 2009, wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:25=A0am, Gilbert Smith wrote:
From Otago Daily

Times:
http://www.odt.co.nz/the-regions/north-otago/46277=
/pilot-has-no-memor...

Old March 18th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Flewett[_2_]

Lemmy has a couple more weeks to do in hospital. However, he is expected
to make a full recovery and is in good spirits given the circumstances.
All of which is great news...

Ben

From Otago Daily

Old March 19th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

On 18 Mar 2009, Ben Flewett wrote:

Lemmy has a couple more weeks to do in hospital. However, he is expected
to make a full recovery and is in good spirits given the circumstances.
All of which is great news...

Do you have an e-mail address for him and/or
the address of his hospital and ward?
Old May 25th 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le samedi 7 mars 2009 09:25:20 UTC+1, Gilbert Smith a écritÂ*:
From Otago Daily Times:
[...]

Hi all , I am looking for a contact email for M. Lemmy Tanner as I am looking for information on a crash he had with his glider on our golf course in 1989 in France. I have a small newspapper article from back then but would love to contact him.

Kidn regards,
John
Old May 26th 16, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Borrowdale

I don't have contact details, but Lemmy flies from lasham so should be
contactable there.

Mike

At 19:18 25 May 2016, wrote:
Le samedi 7 mars 2009 09:25:20 UTC+1, Gilbert Smith a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:
From Otago Daily Times:

http://www.odt.co.nz/the-regions/nor...-no-memory-im=
pact
=20

=

HP-24 update Brad[_2_] Soaring 3 February 27th 09 04:43 AM
Dec 19 update DHeitm8612 Naval Aviation 0 December 17th 04 12:00 AM
Oct 31 Update DHeitm8612 General Aviation 0 October 29th 04 12:43 AM
Oct 3 Update DHeitm8612 General Aviation 0 October 1st 04 05:54 AM
May 2 Update DHeitm8612 General Aviation 0 April 30th 04 02:38 AM