Phishing Emails

Old May 27th 16, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)

Default Phishing Emails

Hi pilots,

I know we have been warned before about this but here is another warning. I have a glider listed on W&W and am getting emails like the following. The bad grammar should be a tip off, of course, kind of like my distant relative who won the lottery in Nigeria. Don't fall for it.

Listing: Ventus 2cxT -18m
From: Douglas

Phone:7040107978
Comments: I am interested to purchase. I will like to know if still available and also send me more details. I await your reply. regards, Mr Douglas

Listing: Ventus 2cxT -18m
From: Mr Vince Allan

Phone:7040107978
Comments:I am interested in buying. Kindly let me know if still available and send me more details. I await your reply. regards, Mr Vince Allan

Please feel free to send these guys a virus.

Be safe,

Bob
Old May 27th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

This looks like the first round of a cashier check scam. They agree to buy sight unseen and send you a check. The check is "accidentally" made out for more than the price and they ask you to send them back the difference.

More about it he http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/cashier.asp

If you received them in your own Gmail account, report them as phishing.

Sign in to Gmail.
Open the message you'd like to report.
At the top-right corner of the message, click the down arrow next to the "Reply" button.
Select Report Phishing.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old May 27th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
I have a glider listed on W&W and am getting emails like the

following.
Th=
e bad grammar should be a tip off, of course, kind of like my

distant
relat=
ive who won the lottery in Nigeria. Don't fall for it.=20

Listing: Ventus 2cxT -18m
From: Douglas

Phone:7040107978
Comments: I am interested to purchase. I will like to know if still
availab=
le and also send me more details. I await your reply. regards, Mr

Douglas
m=

Listing: Ventus 2cxT -18m
From: Mr Vince Allan

Phone:7040107978
Comments:I am interested in buying. Kindly let me know if still

available
a=
nd send me more details. I await your reply. regards, Mr Vince

Allan
vincea=
=20

Please feel free to send these guys a virus.

Be safe,

Bob

We have gotten 2 of these in response to our Twin Astir listing on
W&W also..

Old May 27th 16, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Heck, why not follow up? If anyone sends a cashier's check, simply sit
on it long enough to ensure its validity. Surely the buyer will
understand! I could see this becoming quite fun if the "buyer" is a
scammer. Maybe have him come out for an inspection trip! Maybe the
"buyer" will send a cash deposit.

From: Douglas

Phone:7040107978

Old May 27th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Don't scambait them unless you are fully informed and prepared to deal with any consequences. These scammers are criminals and can get your personal information with a simple N-number search.

If you do want to scambait them, check out some of the protracted exchanges on http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

FWIW - 419 is the legal code for fraud. When I was working in Nigeria, there were buildings with "No 419" painted on the sides to warn people away from the real estate scammers that would "sell" a house or building with false documents.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old May 27th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Good point!

Yes, I've seen that website.