Blanik L-13

Old February 21st 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Blanik L-13

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:43:28 PM UTC-7, janice stowers wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:59*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:

I'd like to see somebody make a small electricity generating windmill from an L-13. *Convert lift to rotary motion. *I guess you would need two left or two right wings to make it work.

Now would you like to hear a really sad story, Here on my local

airport in a hanger is a L-13 with only 28hrs on it and knowing it

will never fly again.

Take good care of that one. If a fix ever appears, it's one of the few likely to be worth the expense. If so, those still flyable may become classics. Take it apart, wrap it in plastic and store it in a dry climate.
Old February 21st 13, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Now would you like to hear a really sad story, Here on my local
airport in a hanger is a L-13 with only 28hrs on it and knowing it
will never fly again."

If that L-13 really has 28hrs. T.T. on it and is in the like new condition that 28hrs. suggest... Well, the only thing stopping me from buying it, bringing it to Canada, getting the AD&C mod done to it and having it back in the air is the trifling matter of having a bank account with about $4.78 in it right now!
Old February 21st 13, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 03:43 21 February 2013, janice stowers wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:59=A0pm, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'd like to see somebody make a small electricity generating windmill

fro=
m an L-13. =A0Convert lift to rotary motion. =A0I guess you would need

two
=
left or two right wings to make it work.

Now would you like to hear a really sad story, Here on my local
airport in a hanger is a L-13 with only 28hrs on it and knowing it
will never fly again.

Do the EASA approved STC and sell it to Europe. Or sit it out until the STC
gets FAA approval. It will be worth the trouble.

Old February 21st 13, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jack gilbert

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:28:29 PM UTC-5, Boise Pilot wrote:
Like about 300 US Blanik L-13 sailplane owners, I have a ship that will probably never fly again. Just trying to find out what other owners are doing with their hangar queens. I know of one where the owners took it apart, separating the aluminum from the steel for sale to metal recyclers. From what I heard, the time and effort involved put their hourly income at about half of the min. wage level.

Not many museums want one and tad big for a wind vane. realistic ideas?

I'm thinking of shortening the fuselage and making it into my very own casket.
Old February 21st 13, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

jack gilbert wrote:
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:28:29 PM UTC-5, Boise Pilot wrote:
Like about 300 US Blanik L-13 sailplane owners, I have a ship that will
probably never fly again. Just trying to find out what other owners are
doing with their hangar queens. I know of one where the owners took it
apart, separating the aluminum from the steel for sale to metal
recyclers. From what I heard, the time and effort involved put their
hourly income at about half of the min. wage level.

Not many museums want one and tad big for a wind vane. realistic ideas?

I'm thinking of shortening the fuselage and making it into my very own casket.

So why hasn't the EASA mod not been approved by the FAA??? I thought with
all that EASA crap in the old country this stuff once approved by one body
would be accepted by the other???

Peter
Old February 21st 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:47:20 AM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
jack gilbert wrote:

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:28:29 PM UTC-5, Boise Pilot wrote:

Like about 300 US Blanik L-13 sailplane owners, I have a ship that will

probably never fly again. Just trying to find out what other owners are

doing with their hangar queens. I know of one where the owners took it

apart, separating the aluminum from the steel for sale to metal

recyclers. From what I heard, the time and effort involved put their

hourly income at about half of the min. wage level.

Not many museums want one and tad big for a wind vane. realistic ideas?

I'm thinking of shortening the fuselage and making it into my very own casket.

So why hasn't the EASA mod not been approved by the FAA??? I thought with

all that EASA crap in the old country this stuff once approved by one body

would be accepted by the other???

Peter

The FAA requested more info and it hasn't been provided.
Old February 21st 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Anyone used an L-13 as a starting point for an experimental (glider or
power)?
Old February 21st 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:04:04 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
Anyone used an L-13 as a starting point for an experimental (glider or

power)?

There's this

http://tinyurl.com/baptr9c
Old February 21st 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 2/21/2013 12:44 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:04:04 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
Anyone used an L-13 as a starting point for an experimental (glider or

power)?

There's this

http://tinyurl.com/baptr9c

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjYJQ8JAZA

Old February 21st 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 21, 1:02*am, Eric Munk wrote:

Do the EASA approved STC and sell it to Europe. Or sit it out until the STC
gets FAA approval. It will be worth the trouble.

What I'd do is try to sell the glider into an EASA region without
doing the STC. The glider would not command so great a price that way,
but I would not have to bear the risk that the glider would not pass
the inspection prerequisite to the modification, nor the risk that the
glider thus modified would not command a price that covers the cost of
the modification.

In aviation, the risk is often the most expensive thing, sometimes
even more so than labor hours or carbon fiber.

Thanks, Bob K.

Blanik L23 AD tomcatvf51 Soaring 1 January 27th 11 12:17 AM
Blanik John Smith Soaring 11 September 20th 10 02:01 AM
New Blanik AD Eric Munk Soaring 16 September 11th 10 11:35 PM
Blanik L-23 Super Blanik Manual -F.C.F.S. Joel Flamenbaum Soaring 2 April 14th 10 03:29 PM
Blanik L-13 brien Soaring 0 December 5th 04 02:00 PM