Egress from 1-26

Old May 25th 16, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Egress from 1-26

If I recall correctly this 1-26 collided with a glass glider whose pilot did not get out. Goes to show if it is not your time...

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 6:36:41 AM UTC-7, Vaughn Simon wrote:
On 5/24/2016 10:22 AM, KAIO wrote:
is is really possible, practicable, to egress a 1-26 in flight?

Well, I've flown them, but never bailed out of one. I don't see why a
properly motivated pilot would have any particular problems though. If
it were me in a badly damaged I-26, I would certainly want the option to
try! One thing in your favor, your airspeed is likely to be low
compared to almost any other glider.

On the other hand, there is a case of a pilot walking away from a 1-26
crash after losing a wing at altitude! I'm obviously happy that it
turned out well, but doubtless that fellow was wishing for a chute all
the way down.

NTSB Identification: MIA97LA211
Accident occurred Saturday, July 12, 1997 in EUSTIS, FL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/02/1998
Aircraft: Schweizer SGS-1-26B, registration: N9927J
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

Old May 25th 16, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KAIO

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 9:36:41 AM UTC-4, Vaughn Simon wrote:
[...]

That is an amazing story!
Old May 26th 16, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 5/25/2016 10:35 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
If I recall correctly this 1-26 collided with a glass glider whose pilot
did not get out. Goes to show if it is not your time...

No other glider (or plane) involved. See the March, 1998 "Soaring" mag (online
archive for SSA members) for likely the most comprehensive
description/assessment you can find in print. Almost certainly loss of control
in inadvertent IMC, resulting in pulling a wing off. FWIW, this was the 2nd
known-to-me spun-to-the-ground w. pilot still on-board, non-fatal 1-26
crunch...though this one appears to have come to rest in mature pine trees.
The other one was atop a nekkid Appalachian ridge. Neither PIC - so far as I'm
aware - was wearing a 'chute. Some might infer from these data that 1-26's are
the safest glider in which to spin-in...

Bob W.

NTSB Identification: MIA97LA211 Accident occurred Saturday, July 12, 1997

Old May 27th 16, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does anyone know where to find the results of the Roger tests? I seem to recall they found that, lacking the Roger hook that was a result of the tests that with a side hinged canopy the best technique was to open it normally rather than try to jettison it by releasing both sides. I've seen three instances of side hinged canopies opening inadvertently in flight. Two times the restraining lanyard broke but the canopy stayed attached by the hinges and suffered some degree of damage. On the Twin Acro rear canopy the thin lanyard stayed intact, the eyebolt that attached it to the canopy stayed attached to the frame, the hinges stayed intact but the frame itself fractured and flew clear of the glider along with the canopy leaving only the section containing the hinge mounts and about a foot of the rear vertical part of the frame attached. None of those incidents led t the canopy acting in a way that would hinder emergency egress really.

I've flown 1-26's twice, wearing a chute both times. Never had to bail out though!