A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SPOT pricing going up again...

Old April 2nd 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SPOT pricing going up again...

I just got notice from SPOT Tracking that they are increasing fees again for my next annual renewal. A few years ago, they added a "network fee" of $9.99 to my bill. That is now going up to $14.99. It looks like for tracking service, yearly fees will go from around $162 to $199.99. So another $50 per year.

Flying out west in the mountains and Great Basin as we do here in Utah, we have to have GPS tracking devices. With the yearly pricing now around $215 per year for only basic tracking every 10 minutes without altitude reporting, is it time to consider one of the other better featured GPS tracking devices and services?

Don't get me wrong, I have been grateful for having my SPOT with me flying for the last 9+ years.

The snow is finally melting...now if only the rain would stop!
Bruno - B4
Old April 2nd 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C2
external usenet poster

I called spot and told them I wanted to cancel my subscription due to the price increase. They offered to not raise my yearly fee if I didn't cancel.
Old April 2nd 17, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 11:51:21 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I just got notice from SPOT Tracking that they are increasing fees again for my next annual renewal. A few years ago, they added a "network fee" of $9.99 to my bill. That is now going up to $14.99. It looks like for tracking service, yearly fees will go from around $162 to $199.99. So another $50 per year.

Flying out west in the mountains and Great Basin as we do here in Utah, we have to have GPS tracking devices. With the yearly pricing now around $215 per year for only basic tracking every 10 minutes without altitude reporting, is it time to consider one of the other better featured GPS tracking devices and services?

Don't get me wrong, I have been grateful for having my SPOT with me flying for the last 9+ years.

The snow is finally melting...now if only the rain would stop!
Bruno - B4

Bruno - Understand your dilemma...I fly out of Moriarty and switched over from a SPOT to the Garmin inReach about 2 years ago and I have never looked back. It works great and is very reliable. I send messages out as as needed and during the winter I suspend service which helps me save a few dollars as I am charged $5.51/mo during the winter months when service is suspended.. I also use it for hiking and it has a lot of wonderful capabilities, so to me it is worth every penny I pay for the service each month. There are several service plans available, so do your research and I am sure you will find a plan that would work best for you! Thanks - Renny
Old April 3rd 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 11:22:07 AM UTC-7, C2 wrote:
I called spot and told them I wanted to cancel my subscription due to the price increase. They offered to not raise my yearly fee if I didn't cancel..

I too called Spot told them I wanted to cancel due to price increase and they waived the increase. They later this year they will have a new device with more features than an InReach at a lower price point. I told them what I wish they had was a Sat phone with same tracking features as Spot gen 3 or better yet an InReach that one could also male calls from on a as call basis.
Old April 4th 17, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

So Renny, you say you switched 2 years ago, what exactly are your costs, up front and yearly? I tried to look at cost comparisons and totally get confused with how they represent it: 19.99/month plus .30/fix for tracking seems pretty high if I fly 40+ 4 hour flights per year or more. Inquiring minds want to know😀 Even with the increase it's still less than 15/month. Or am I missing something?
Old April 4th 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 10:25:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
So Renny, you say you switched 2 years ago, what exactly are your costs, up front and yearly? I tried to look at cost comparisons and totally get confused with how they represent it: 19.99/month plus .30/fix for tracking seems pretty high if I fly 40+ 4 hour flights per year or more. Inquiring minds want to know😀 Even with the increase it's still less than 15/month. Or am I missing something?

Cliff - I am guessing you are in the US, so here are my costs:
Delorme Plan 3 (unlimited tracking every 10 minutes) the cost including taxes and fees = $38.72/month
When service is suspended the cost = $5.51/mo

I typically suspend service for 4 months each year and pay the $38.72/month for the other 8 months. Depending on your requirements and the weather in you area, you may only need the service for 6 months each year while others may want to use it 12 months per year. If you want more frequent tracking than every 10 minutes, it will obviously cost more each month....

Finally, Garmin has introduced new inReach SE and Explorer models whcih are now available, so you can check with the various soaring suppliers on equipment pricing. The previous models are still out there, so you may be able to get a break in the price. Also, on occasion there are rebates which would also help lower the price. I have the inReach Explorer version with some very nice navigation features which I really like and use for hiking...Thx - Renny
Old April 4th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have the recreation plan and that costs me $24.95/mo. That provides unlimited tracking and 40 texts a month.

Last year I upgraded to the SE from the older unit, so I also have the safety plan ($11.95/mo) on the older unit for my wife to use on retrieves. That allows 10 texts a month and will be invaluable if we're both in the boonies trying to get connected.

Renny, you might want to update your plan because that extra $14/mo might not be getting you anything. :-)

-Tom

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 6:32:25 AM UTC-7, Renny wrote:
Delorme Plan 3 (unlimited tracking every 10 minutes) the cost including taxes and fees = $38.72/month

Old April 4th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:09:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have the recreation plan and that costs me $24.95/mo. That provides unlimited tracking and 40 texts a month.

Last year I upgraded to the SE from the older unit, so I also have the safety plan ($11.95/mo) on the older unit for my wife to use on retrieves. That allows 10 texts a month and will be invaluable if we're both in the boonies trying to get connected.

Renny, you might want to update your plan because that extra $14/mo might not be getting you anything. :-)

-Tom

Tom,
I will definitely take a good look!
Thanks for the heads-up!
Renny
Old April 4th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 11:18:49 AM UTC-6, Renny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:09:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:

-Tom

Tom,
I will definitely take a good look!
Thanks for the heads-up!
Renny

OK..As we continue to beat this wonderful subject to death, let me recommend this URL from Cumulus Soaring whichcontains a lot of plan info...

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/garmin.htm

Here is another URL from Paul Rende with contract info...

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delor...tractPlans.pdf

Now, one clarification regarding the plan I have been using...I do not actually have unlimited tracking with the Delorme 3 "Plan," but based on 10 minute tracking I would have to fly more than 102.6 hours in one month before I would go over my 8,000 bytes/mo that I am allowed (before having to pay extra), so at least for me, it is essentially unlimited. For those who fly more hours each month, or want a more frequent tracking interval, a different plan might be more appropriate.

Again, Paul's excellent charts at Cumulus Soaring have all of the details.
Thx - Renny
Old April 5th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks Renny, yes I'm in Prescott Az and fly alot at Moriarty each year. So to summarize for me to use the 10 min tracking with Delorme/ Garmin, it will cost 300+ a year. Granted I will get text msg I don't have with spot. With spot, I get the same 10 min tracking, and just pre set txt for 200/yr and no up front costs for equipment(I got my spot for free with sign up). Just trying to check actual costs.