A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC "Advanced" flight information

Old May 11th 17, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default OLC "Advanced" flight information

I see a tab on the OLC Plus, beside "Standard", for "Advanced" information. There is no indication of what that is, or why it would be worth subscribing (The Canadian Soaring Association already pays $1000CAD/yr to OLC). Does anyone have a screen shot of what that looks like, or a link that describes what value added it might provide?

Thank you in advance.
Dan
Old May 11th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]
external usenet poster

Advanced is just a different map view similar to the google-maps option which also requires a login. Both options are available after logging in. There is no subscription fee.

The OLC does invite you to donate - but the only advantage is a smiley beside the claimed flights. To my knowledge the donation is purly voluntary and does not come with any special features.
Old May 11th 17, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:16:44 AM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
Advanced is just a different map view similar to the google-maps option which also requires a login. Both options are available after logging in. There is no subscription fee.

The OLC does invite you to donate - but the only advantage is a smiley beside the claimed flights. To my knowledge the donation is purly voluntary and does not come with any special features.

I believe the "advanced" view requires not only an account login, but also a small donation to OLC. The Google view requires login only and there are a limited number of times per day you can view flights.
Old May 11th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:48:31 AM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:16:44 AM UTC-5, Alex wrote:

I believe the "advanced" view requires not only an account login, but also a small donation to OLC. The Google view requires login only and there are a limited number of times per day you can view flights.

Just logged into OLC (I'm also a donor) and clicked on 'advanced' for one of today's flights. Wow, it opens a large relief map of the flight area, the entire path, barogram and scored turn points. As for the Standard map, the flight path can be followed by sliding the mouse pointer along the barogram. Map view can be changed to Satellite.
Old May 11th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 8:16:44 AM UTC-7, Alex wrote:

There is not a fee for Google Maps. There is a fee for Advanced.
Jim