Pitot Heat

Old April 15th 05, 05:59 PM
Lakeview Bill

Default Pitot Heat

How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

Old April 15th 05, 06:39 PM
Newps

Lakeview Bill wrote:

How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

It's about the last thing I would spend money on. For that mission you
don't really need a pitot tube.

Old April 15th 05, 07:13 PM
Bob Gardner

FAR 23.1323(d) tells manufacturers that if IFR certification is requested,
pitot heat is required. Check your AFM to see if the plane is certificated
for IFR and you have your answer....if it is "yes," the airplane is not
airworthy without it.

Bob Gardner

m...

Old April 15th 05, 07:29 PM
John T Lowry

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...
How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power Preparatory
School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield so thick I
broke the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get it off the
windshield of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that was during the
day in VFR conditions.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Old April 15th 05, 08:31 PM
Peter R.

John T Lowry wrote:

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power Preparatory
School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield so thick I
broke the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get it off the
windshield of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that was during the
day in VFR conditions.

Freezing rain?

--
Peter

Old April 15th 05, 09:46 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"John T Lowry" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...
How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power Preparatory
School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield so thick I broke
the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get it off the windshield
of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that was during the day in VFR
conditions.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

But did that ice first appear during day VFR conditions?

Old April 15th 05, 10:01 PM
Bill Zaleski

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:13:57 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

FAR 23.1323(d) tells manufacturers that if IFR certification is requested,
pitot heat is required. Check your AFM to see if the plane is certificated
for IFR and you have your answer....if it is "yes," the airplane is not
airworthy without it.

Bob Gardner

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
om...
How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

Many small single engine aircraft are IFR capable and airworthy, but
were never built with pitot heat. The early PA 28-140 and Cessna 175
didn't even have a pitot head, let alone heat. Just an end of an
aluminum tube end pointing forward. Still legal per the original
drawings. CAR 3 certification basis, Bob, not Part 23.

Old April 15th 05, 10:31 PM
John T Lowry

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

"John T Lowry" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...
How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power
Preparatory School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield
so thick I broke the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get
it off the windshield of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that
was during the day in VFR conditions.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

But did that ice first appear during day VFR conditions?

Unfortunately, I don't recall the details. This was back in 1965.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Old April 15th 05, 11:50 PM
Blueskies

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message ...
FAR 23.1323(d) tells manufacturers that if IFR certification is requested, pitot heat is required. Check your AFM to
see if the plane is certificated for IFR and you have your answer....if it is "yes," the airplane is not airworthy
without it.

Bob Gardner

I think you can placard it "inop" and you are all set...

28 volt pitot heat B2431 Home Built 15 April 17th 04 03:25 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 01:51 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Owning 10 November 6th 03 09:54 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Piloting 10 November 6th 03 09:54 AM
Pitot Heat Roger Long Piloting 12 November 6th 03 02:01 AM